Director of Financial Aid
Director of Financial Aid will foster a customer friendly Student Financial Aid Office that achieves high quality customer service operating in an enrollment services team environment. The Director will ensure compliance with federal and state regulations. The Director is responsible for providing overall leadership and innovation in establishing the philosophy and implementation of financial aid policies, procedures and programs.
- Efficiently organize, make decisions, prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and work independently and as a team player within a highly computerized environment and with frequent daily interruptions
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding and knowledge of state, federal and institutional regulations, assuring compliance, prompt reporting, and coordination for audits and program reviews.
- Coordinate the completion of all applications for funding (FISAP, etc.).
- Works in collaboration with the Chief Enrollment Services Officer in the determination of departmental budgetary needs.
- Supplement student recruitment and retention efforts by services offered through financial aid including the implementation and management of a financial aid related communication plan and series of outreach events in cooperation with other areas of Enrollment Services.
- Work with all facets of the financial aid office including, but not limited to: student award packaging, compliance, certification, default management, loan processing, document tracking, grants and scholarships, and file maintenance.
- Oversee the awarding of Veteran’s financial aid benefits and maintain compliance with those related regulations.
- Counsel individual students and parents and delivers presentations and workshops throughout the service area for groups pertaining to all matters related to the financing of higher education.
- Provide leadership to promote and maintain integrity, accuracy, and timeliness in the delivery of financial aid to students at all Columbia State campuses.
- Administer scholarship budgets and work with other campus offices in development of awarding criteria, renewal requirements, reporting etc.
- Work in collaboration with all campus offices to assure accuracy in awarding and reporting of student financial aid.
- Supervise the financial aid staff and work in concert with the Chief Enrollment Services Officer and the staff to develop a financial aid office that is embedded in an Enrollment Services team that is customer friendly, while delivering high-quality customer service across all enrollment areas for success.
- Be proactive in identifying and implementing efficiencies in the use of Banner Financial Aid for processing, awarding and disbursing financial aid. Establish and implement short and long term goals for the use of technology in operation of the various financial assistance processes.
- Work closely with Information Technology Department to maximize effectiveness of Banner system and other automated programs associated with Title IV programs and to implement new technology that will enhance the efficiency of various systems used in the department.
- Develop financial aid strategies to meet the goals of the Columbia State enrollment management plan and retention goals.
- Serve as back-up for all financial aid operations.
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of a comprehensive Financial Aid Policy and Procedures Manual.
- Oversee the coordination of campus student employment.
- Represent Enrollment Services at various financial aid related events both on and off campus and across the Columbia State service area.
- Oversee adherence to the NJCAA and the TCCAA relative to the awarding of student financial aid.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree required; with emphasis in administration of Student Personnel or Academic Services, Guidance and Counseling, or Business Accounting.
- Three years of experience minimum, administering federal and state financial aid programs of a size and complexity similar to Columbia State Community College.
- Management experience involving federal loan programs and electronic transfer of funds and with reporting responsibilities to senior institutional leadership and to the federal government.
Education, Training, and Experience Preferred:
- Master’s degree with emphasis in administration of Student Personnel or Academic Services, Guidance and Counseling, or Business Accounting.
- 5-10 years’ experience administering federal and state financial aid programs of a size and complexity similar to Columbia State Community College.
- Direct experience with financial aid functionality in BANNER.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Work Characteristics:
- Knowledge of current financial aid programs, policies, procedures, and auditing guidelines; accounting, reporting and management; Office of Education electronic processing systems; student information management system (BANNER preferred).
- Skills in effective verbal and written communication; interpersonal skills consistent with establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with faculty and staff of college and other educational institutions, federal agencies, and students; computer usage including personal computers and mainframe student information systems; and data collection, analysis and reporting.
- Ability to interpret federal, state and college policies, procedures and guidelines and implement changes smoothly and promptly; to organize and manage detailed procedures accurately and efficiently; to understand and utilize appropriate computer software; to analyze, problem-solve and make appropriate decisions; to maintain confidentiality of records and information; and to set priorities and deadlines, ensure projects are completed and respond to questions/problems in a timely manner.
- Work style that reflects good customer service, accurate, goal oriented, and accountable processes; and can handle multiple tasks simultaneously.