Assistant Biocuration Scientist

Job description

Assistant Biocuration Scientist

Stanford University

Job Number:

Less than 2% of the human genome sequence is protein coding, have you ever wondered what is the role of the remaining 98% of the genome? Stanford University Department of Genetics has an excellent opportunity for an entry-level Assistant Biocuration Scientist to play a role in the ENCODE project, advancing our understanding of the human genome and determining how genetics influences the development and progression of diseases. The ENCODE project is funded by National Institute of Health and is building a catalog of all the functional elements in the human genome sequence, subsequently making it available to scientists worldwide for the study of human health and disease.
Assistant biocuration scientist duties will include:

  • Collection and integration of scientific data on the biology of model organisms and humans for inclusion into online database resources.
  • Metadata curation guided by internal reports generated by various validation and error detection processes.
  • Troubleshooting and diagnosis of issues in the quality assurance environment, with subsequent communication of that knowledge to a varied audience of technical and non-technical stakeholders.
  • Resource documentation editing and maintenance, including educational material for the resources' users.
  • Execution and monitoring of analysis pipelines.
The desired candidate needs to have an education (Bachelor's degree) in one or more of the following disciplines: molecular biology, cellular biology, immunology and genetics. Excellent communication and organizational skills, with a strong attention to details are required.
Previous experience working in an academic environment is a plus.
Experience with scripting languages is a plus.
Compliance with and support of University and government health & safety regulations & policies is required.
Duties include:
  • Produce documentation regarding effective use of the database.
  • Respond to user requests.
  • Review submissions to the database for quality and relevancy; abstract information in the required formats.
  • Maintain quality control and integrity of current and archived data.
  • Test new functionality with the software.
  • Assist with the preparation of reports and publications about the research progress.
  • Participate in presentations and demonstrations of the database at conferences or other institutions.
  • Run uniform processing pipelines.
  • Attend project meetings.
* - Other duties may also be assigned. DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
  • UNIX experience.
  • Scripting experience.

Bachelor's degree in scientific field and one year of related experience, or combination of relevant experience.

  • Solid analytical skills.
  • Strong written and oral English communication skills.
  • Computer skills, including word processing and spreadsheet applications.
  • Ability to understand scientific literature, experimental procedures and their limitations, and current needs of the research community.

Frequently perform desk based computer tasks, seated work and use light/ fine grasping. Occasionally stand, walk, and write by hand, lift, carry, push pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.

  • May work extended or non-standard hours based on project or business needs. Occasional local travel may be required.
  • Some work may be performed in a laboratory setting.

  • Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
  • Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
  • Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide,

Job: Information Analytics

Location: School of Medicine
Schedule: Full-time
Classification Level:

To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link:

Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.





Diversity Profile: University



View more

Learn more on Inside Higher Ed's College Page for University

Arrow pointing right
Job No:
Posted: 2/26/2018
Application Due: 4/9/2018
Work Type: