Supervisor, Chico Center Operations
Supervisor, Chico Center Operations
Butte-Glenn Community College
Closing Date/Time: 3/26/2018 4:00 PM Pacific
Salary: Not Displayed
Location: Chico Center, CA
Department: Office of Instruction
Exempt Full-time 40 hours per week, 12 months per year
MSC - Range 9; $61,832.52 per year
Some highlights and details associated with this position:
- Health benefits, The District offers several plans to employees, many of them at no cost to the employee. Additionally, Butte College employees have access to two Health and Wellness Centers through Butte Schools Self-Funded Programs. Employees can receive free or reduced cost care (depending on plan election).
- This twelve (12) month position earns twenty-three (23) days of vacation per fiscal year, accrued at the rate of 15.33 hours per month.
- This position receives sick leave of one day per month of employment.
Butte College's main campus is located on a 928-acre wildlife refuge and we pride ourselves on being a national college leader in sustainability. Community partnerships matter to us. We work with our K-12 partners to create career pathways for students to seamlessly move from high school to Butte College coursework or credit to transfer to a four-year university. In fact, Butte College has the highest transfer rate of all California community colleges to California State University, Chico. Butte College contributes to economic development through the Training Place, and the Small Business Development Center.
For 50 years, we have successfully provided a quality educational experience to our students, offering associates degrees and training in career fields including business, medical, law enforcement, welding, automotive, computers, and more.
The ideal candidate will share Butte College's commitment to our mission and values, especially our commitment to educating our racially and socio-economically diverse student population. We currently enroll around 16,000 students annually, many of whom are from racially minoritized populations. 59% of Butte College students are white, 27% are Latinx, 6% are Asian, 3% are African American, 2% are Native American, and 4% are multi-ethnic. As an emerging Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), Butte College understands that it has a great responsibility to the educational attainment and economic well-being of our surrounding communities.
The successful candidate will join a campus community that demonstrates its commitment to student equity by supporting ongoing professional development for students, faculty and staff. These opportunities include a Cultural Awareness Community of Practice, FAIR Classrooms, active Diversity and Student Equity Committees, support for our undocumented and AB 540 students (Download PDF reader), a robust set of culturally responsive programs and events, and conferences related to equity-mindedness and supporting the success of our diverse students.
Under the direction of an assigned administrator, supervises, assigns, reviews, coordinates workflow and participates in the work of staff responsible for the daily operations of the Chico Center; assists the assigned administrator in carrying out the annual business plan; ensures work quality and adherence to established Chico Center policies and procedures; this position requires the ability to utilize independent judgment in the interpretation and application of District policies and procedures; budgetary responsibilities are required; oversees evening supervisors. Performs related work as required.
The duties recorded below are representative of the duties of the class and are not intended to cover all the duties performed by incumbent(s) of any particular position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the scope of work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class. The essential duties of the class are indicated with an asterisk *
- Effectively supervises and manages the Chico Center's main office; coordinates communications; initiates and processes work orders, purchase orders, facility agreements and leases; monitors and maintains computer databases and office filing systems; performs administrative tasks to relieve the assigned administrator of routine administrative details; ensures effective and efficient operations by developing organizational, operational and comprehensive plans and operating procedures; identifies opportunities for optimizing staff and resources and recommends and implements changes that enhance efficiency; provides ongoing budget oversight and maintenance and monitors budget expenditures along with other supplemental allocations to assist the assigned administrator with development of the departmental annual budget*
- Effectively directs, supervises, assigns, reviews, coordinates workflow, participates in and supports the work of assigned staff to optimize service delivery, hours of service and staff performance. Supervisory duties include: instructing, planning and assigning work; maintaining standards; determining performance objectives; coordinating activities; responding to employee leave requests; processes monthly timesheets; acts on personnel issues and recommends and approves employee discipline*
- Reviews and evaluates the work of employees for effectiveness, completeness, accuracy and adherence to required functions and departmental policies and procedures; offers advice and assistance as needed*
- Acts as key contact and remains current on Center issues and operations, complaints, situations and/or conditions of special interest or activities; exercises the use of independent judgment concerning matters requiring attention of the assigned administrator to assure timely action and resolves problems and/or concerns*
- Monitors student traffic at all service areas and works with administrators to ensure information accuracy and to assign and schedule adequate support staff to meet service level needs for the Chico Center*
- Utilizes computers to perform advanced-level document production including complex formatting of documents and charts; establishes and maintains databases and spreadsheets; assembles files and duplicates materials; composes and prepares office correspondence, materials, reports, forms, brochures, spreadsheets, graphs, tables, presentations, handbooks, calendars, manuals and other departmental documents as needed and/or required; answers phones, refers callers and takes messages; maintains and orders supplies; may prepare agendas and take minutes of meetings; and utilizes a variety of software programs and hardware*
- Provides the full range of technical support for all areas of the Chico Center while maintaining a high degree of confidentiality. Provides information, assistance and guidance in person, by telephone, by written correspondence and/or electronic technology to students, faculty, staff and the general public, in a pleasant and helpful manner*
- Ensures the accurate and timely dissemination of information concerning campus policies and procedures to staff, students and the general public*
- Compiles and tabulates statistical data and information from various sources including data compiled and records kept as they relate to individual assignments and prepares appropriate forms, schedules, reports, newsletters and lists as required; summarizes, inputs and reviews data and verifies for accuracy, completeness and compliance to rules, regulations, policies, procedures and other mandates*
- Assists in the development of course schedules for the Chico Center and verifies for accuracy; coordinates and approves class schedules and room utilization; reassigns classrooms to match class size and educational function; minimizes conflicts in time and location; generates statistical data each semester related to enrollment trends
- Assists with managing the appropriate utilization of the Chico Center and additional off-site leased facilities; the leasing of facilities in order to meet the scheduling needs of the District; the negotiating of rental and leasing fees; and managing procedural protocols for instructional and student services in leased facilities
- May assume site administration responsibility in the absence of assigned administrator, including periodic on-call and response to urgent occurrences
- May serve on a variety of District committees as requested
- May perform other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate's Degree or the equivalent*; AND
- Three years of increasingly responsible experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities of this position; AND
- Graduation from high school or G.E.D. or the equivalent**.
** High School education equivalency equals four (4) years of full-time paid work experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATION AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity and sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
- Previous experience working for an educational administrator or manager at a community college.
- Experience with managing and coordinating a department.
- Hold and maintain a valid Drivers' License throughout duration of employment with the District.
Knowledge of: laws and ordinances pertaining to the specific responsibilities of the position; supervisory and managerial concepts and principles; modern office practices, procedures and technology, including computers; proper grammar usage; administrative services that support the delivery of higher education, including but not limited to enrollment, financial aid, student services, learning resources and instructional support; analysis and evaluation of programs, projects and day-to-day operational needs; interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy; and budget preparation.
Ability to: ensure compliance with all laws, regulations and policies through effective staff and facility supervision; motivate and provide effective leadership to employees; plan and coordinate the most effective use of staff and resources to achieve goals; communicate professionally in confrontational situations; learn and interpret the Education Code as it pertains to College Centers; operate computers and related equipment with ease; utilize keyboarding skills commensurate with the required functions for this position; compose complex reports and correspondence; analyze problems and apply appropriate problem-solving and decision-making skills; work independently with an emphasis on detail management; complete assignments according to established deadlines; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; maintain records accurately and with confidentiality as required; compile, organize and use various financial information necessary in the preparation of the departmental budget; control and monitor budget expenditures and resource development; demonstrate clear evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students; greet the public, students and staff respectfully and respond intelligently; demonstrate acceptable planning and organizational skills; collaborate with others to develop required and/or necessary services; and demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
WORK DIRECTION, LEAD AND SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provides direct supervision to assigned departmental staff. Hires, trains and provides direction to hourly and student employees.
Normal office environment.
Faculty, staff, administrators, students and the general public.
Normal office environment
- The successful applicant will be required to complete a medical history questionnaire and must agree to undergo and pass a pre-employment physical examination, based on the physical requirements of the position, prior to employment. The physician will be selected and paid for by the District. Disabilities not related to the essential physical job requirements will not preclude the applicant from being hired.
- Education Code § 87408.6 states that no person shall be initially employed by a community college district in an academic or classified position unless the person has submitted to an examination within the past sixty (60) days to determine that he or she is free of active tuberculosis.
- As a condition of employment the position you are applying for will require that you provide fingerprints to the local police department. The fee charged by the Department of Justice (DOJ) for the fingerprint report is the employee's responsibility. If you should be offered this position you will be asked to sign a payroll deduction form which will authorize the District to deduct the fee charged by the DOJ from your first paycheck.
The Butte-Glenn Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
---------------------------------------------Application Instructions----------------------------ALL APPLICANTS, INCLUDING CURRENT BUTTE COLLEGE EMPLOYEES, MUST SUBMIT ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS WITH THE ONLINE APPLICATION IN ORDER TO MOVE FORWARD IN THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS. If you are applying under Equivalency for the education minimum qualification, please attach a document titled Equivalency using the "Transcript" drop down file type located in the attachment section of the application.
All on-line attachment types require that you attach a document.
Please describe in your cover letter how your past experience and qualifications meet the needs of this position.
RESUME OR VITA:
Please submit this as an attachment, not as a text resume within the application.
TRANSCRIPTS OF ALL ACADEMIC WORK:
You are required to provide transcripts for all coursework and/or degrees listed on the application materials you have submitted. The transcripts must include the date the institution granted the degree. Legible copies of transcripts are acceptable at this point in the process. Official transcripts must be submitted prior to hire.
If you have foreign transcripts please include copies of a U.S. evaluation and translation.
Foreign transcripts must include a U.S. evaluation and translation. Please contact the Office of Human Resources for a list of agencies providing this service or our website at; http://www.butte.edu/hr/job_opportunities/associate_faculty/foreign_degree_eval.html
All offers of employment are contingent upon the submission of official transcripts showing completion of the degree.
To apply, visit: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/buttecc/