HR Partner/HR Generalist
HR Partner/HR Generalist
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: Human Resources
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
The Division of Talent and Inclusion at WPI has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, motivated HR professional to join the team. Reporting to the Associate Director of Talent & Human Resources, the Talent & HR Specialist will promote an inclusive environment by working collaboratively with the WPI community to create and implement employee engagement experiences which support WPI's efforts to attract, retain and develop top talent. The Talent & HR Specialist will provide advice and support to departments across the university in all areas of human resources including; talent acquisition, salary administration, talent & performance coaching, employee relations and compliance, labor relations, and training & development.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Support strategic learning initiatives, events and programs across the institute in support of university strategic priorities. Participate in the formulation and implementation of a comprehensive talent development and training program. Assist with needs assessment, programming, vendor selection and logistics
• Assist managers in resolving complex employee relations issues and provide day-to-day performance management guidance. Support or lead investigation, resolution, and documentation of ongoing relations issues, and recommend and initiate appropriate steps for resolution with the support from the Associate Director of Talent and HR
• Assist with the ongoing coordination of WPI’s employee recognition programs
• Assist with compensation administration and provide managers with data and advice to support WPI’s merit and performance based compensation philosophy
• Update and maintain departmental web pages, online forms, and portals for the Office. Draft, edit, and proofread correspondence and or policies supporting talent and engagement initiatives across the Division
• Present and execute innovative ideas and best practices to support process, departmental, and organizational improvements
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other campus offices and departments to ensure high quality services for all campus community members. Represent the division on various internal and external committees
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
• Minimum of three to five years of related work experience and working knowledge of multiple human resources disciplines including employee relations, performance management, federal and state employment laws, training & development and compensation
• Demonstrated commitment to inclusive hiring practices and the ability to support diversity in workforce recruitment and retention
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Products (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook)
• Familiarity and proficiency with HRIS and other technology tools. Experience with Workday is a plus
• Must demonstrate the ability to exercise discretion and good judgment in handling confidential and sensitive matters
• Must have excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence. Able to establish good working relationships with both internal and external community - students, staff, faculty, candidates etc.
• Strong attention to detail, good organization and time management skills, and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
• Must be able to work effectively, handle the stress of shifting and competing priorities, show resourcefulness, work proactively and meet deadlines
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to present effectively in public settings required
• Must be an effective critical thinker and mature problem solver
• Demonstrates a willingness to take ownership for wide-ranging responsibilities with accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and monitor own work to ensure quality
• Successful experience supporting HR or talent functions in research or academic environments
• Demonstrated success in utilizing social media tools and resources
• HR Certification (PHR or SPHR)
• Experience in supporting initiatives that impact positive change
• Experience analyzing and compiling data
• Experience designing or delivering professional or management training courses
• Mediation skills or experience with conducting investigations
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Posting Date: 02/23/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/5448