Manager - Catering Production
Manager - Catering Production
Position Category: Staff - Full-Time
So you work in Food Service and you love the fast paced, every day is a new adventure atmosphere? Well, why not put your skills and enthusiasm to work at UVU and work in a great environment with great people!
We are seeking a Manager in Catering Production who is responsible for the high-volume production and accuracy of all food for catered events with a focus on either hot foods or cold and baked goods. Responsible for implementing new menu items and standardized recipes. Responsible for hiring, developing, supervising, and scheduling all kitchen staff. Ensures staffing levels, processes, and food production are consistent with desired food costs. Responsible for purchasing, receiving, and inventory processes for either hot foods or cold and baked goods. Oversees the maintenance of equipment. Monitors food and labor cost budgets for the department. Ensures employees' compliance with all departmental policies and procedures with an emphasis on food handling, efficiency, safety, and controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft. Maintains and ensures adherence by all staff members to the HACCP procedures implemented by the Director. Involved in the complexities of day-to-day operational, service-related problems, and other duties as needed to ensure the success of the department as a whole. Although job duties focus on either hot or cold and baked foods, the Chef de Cuisine is an integral part of the catering team and will assist in any part of the department as needed including front of the house.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor’s degree plus three years of related experience, OR an equivalent combination of education and/or experience related to the Summary of Duties totaling at least seven years.
ServSafe certification, valid driver’s license, and Utah food handler’s permit.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the operation and management of a food service business.
- Requires familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the food production field with an emphasis on safety and sanitation.
- Knowledge of local Health Department requirements pertaining to sanitation and food safety.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment and/or services needed in event preparation and inventory control.
- Skills in writing standardized recipes, cooking directions, and techniques for staff members.
- Skills in reading, analyzing, and interpreting recipes.
- Skills in effectively presenting information and responding to questions from supervisors, co-workers, customers, and the general public.
- Skills in various computer software programs such as Microsoft Office.
- Skills in reading and interpreting related measurements of the industry such as pound, grams, temperature degrees F and C, and to use concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions including the calculation and interpretation of such things as food costs, labor cost and other food service reports.
- Skills in time management and task prioritization.
- Ability to interpret, follow, and create a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, financial reports or schedule form.
- Ability to plan, create and formulate catering recipes and menus with an understanding of product costing.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment and to supervise and train employees including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to come to work regularly and on time, to follow directions, take criticism, get along with co-workers and supervisors, treat co-workers, supervisors and staff and faculty/guests with respect and courtesy.
- Must be able to solve practical problems and handle a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze problems and recommend solutions.
- Must be able to lead and inspire employees.
Graduation form an accredited institution with a Bachelor degree in Hospitality Management, Business Management or related field.
Continual standing with frequent bending/stooping, twisting, reaching, pushing/pulling, walking, talking, hearing, seeing and fine hand manipulation.
Must be able to lift greater than 25 lbs.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range: $34,656 - $46,207
Advertisement Number: ST65317 Food Services Staff 03/16/2018
Open Date: 02/23/2018
Review Start Date: 03/01/2018
Close Date: 3/16/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicant: Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the “Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date. Please list a minimum of three references. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process for a letter of recommendation.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/5695
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicant’s qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.