Director - Communications
Director - Communications
Position Category: Staff - Full-Time
Utah Valley University is seeking a Director of Communications for the Marketing and Communications Department. The Director of Communications oversees the development and execution of communication programs across all facets of public relations including: media relations, positioning and narrative development, major earned media programs, influencer communications, stakeholder engagement, and building great brand experiences on and off line. This position also architects and guides engagements, establishes budget, timeline, quality standards, and builds strong trusting relationships with colleagues and across the broader university community.
Maintains and develops key media contacts; pitches stories to national and local print, online, television and radio media. Proactively develops and offers fresh story angles to media. Demonstrates tactical proficiency in media relations, including creating and driving strategic traditional, social and paid media outreach plans. Manages multiple projects for multiple internal UVU clients from concept to completion.
Forms dynamic teams with creative, account and integrated staff to develop best-in class work. Directs and supervises communication personnel, which includes budgets, work allocation, training, promotions, enforcement of internal procedures and controls, and problem resolution.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline plus three years of staff level experience or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience related to the Summary of Duties totaling seven years.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- At least 10 years of experience of doing predominantly earned media work.
- An excellent understanding of media outreach assignments; experience and initiative in developing appropriate traditional and online media strategies.
- An affinity for storytelling, and an ability to generate creative ideas, take risks, and think big.
- A strong journalistic mindset, with proven ability to uncover story lines media will find compelling.
- Management experience.
- Possess comprehensive understanding of traditional and new public relations and media tools, and be able to recommend a variety of strategies and tactics to clients.
- Skills in creating and sharing organizational vision with employees.
- Skills in articulating systems, policies, procedures and productivity standards.
- Skills in planing, monitoring, and appraising job results, including coaching, counseling, training, and giving feedback to employees.
- Skills in establishing strategic goals, define objectives, choose courses of action and evaluate outcomes.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills along with the proven ability to consistently make sounds judgments.
- Be a proactive self-starter with excellent organizational and project management skills with the ability to adapt to change and meet deadlines.
- Ability to provide sound, level-appropriate media counsel with all levels of internal client contacts.
- Ability to research, interview, write, and edit a range of media communications (media alerts, pitch emails, post-project recap reports, etc.)
- Ability to write strategic communication plans and a variety of media materials with limited oversight.
- A consistent ability to develop, manage and implement strategic media relations and account-specific initiatives across a variety of communications channels.
- Ability to push for creative ideas and embrace diverse trends, skills, specialties and viewpoints.
Physical requirements are typical of an office environment.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
You may be eligible for a 3 credit hour or 1 class tuition waiver after 6 consecutive months of employment and a minimum of 475 hours worked. Dependents do not qualify for a waiver.
Advertisement Number: ST65517 University Relations Staff 03/16/2018
Open Date: 02/23/2018
Review Start Date: 03/02/2018
Close Date: 3/16/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicant: Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the “Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date. Please list a minimum of three references. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process for a letter of recommendation.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/5581
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicant’s qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.