Mine Safety Instructor
Eastern Washington University Comprehensive Mine Safety and Health program (a MSHA State Grants program) seeks a professional Mine Safety Instructor for miner training. The person in this position will provide the Washington mining industry with federally mandated Safety and Health Training.
All underground and surface mining operations are subject to federal safety and health standards. Candidates are required to hold a current MSHA qualification for safety instruction for both surface mines and underground mines.
Mining employees are required to have specific training prior to beginning work and retraining annually thereafter.
This position is responsible for arranging and presenting this required training at various locations throughout the State of Washington and North Idaho and is required to develop, design, maintain and update training documents and materials to be in compliance with Code of Federal Regulations.
About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern's Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Conditions of Employment
- 100% time grant-funded position, with an annual 12-month per year appointment
- Extensive in-state travel for approximately 50% of the time is required in order to fulfill the position's responsibilities.
- Valid driver's license and proof of insurance is required.
- During period of travel and when conducting on-site training, position will be expected to work beyond normal business hours.
Optional: Contact the Office of Human Resources if you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form which describes the physical and mental demands associated with this position.Required Qualifications:
- Candidates are required to hold a current MSHA instructor certification for both surface mines and underground mines.
- First Aid and CPR instructor certification are required for continued employment, and must be obtained within one year of start date.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Demonstrated knowledge of MSHA Safety and Health policies and regulations.
- Demonstrated training experience.
- Good communications skills.
- Interest, experience or ability to promote cultural competency and/or diversity, including universal accessibility.
- Degree in Occupational Safety, Safety Engineering or closely related field,
- Experience in underground and/or open pit mining and/or quarrying desired