Director of Human Resources
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) is seeking an experienced Director of Human Resources. SIUE is a nationally recognized university that provides students with a high-quality, affordable education that prepares them for successful careers and lives of purpose. Situated on 2,660 acres of beautiful woodland atop the bluffs overlooking the natural beauty of the Mississippi River’s rich bottomland and only a short drive from downtown St. Louis, SIUE is the second largest employer in the Madison-St. Clair County region. Reporting to the Vice Chancellor for Administration, the Director of Human Resources leads and directs the daily operations of the Office of Human Resources at SIUE, and provides guidance and consultation to the University community, including the Chancellor, Vice Chancellor, Deans and Directors, covering a broad range of HR policies and procedures. The Director supervises and leads a team of approximately 29 HR professional staff members in support of approximately 2,400 full and part time employees.
Essential functions and responsibilities of position:
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation.
- Ensure adherence to all federal and state employment statutes, and standardization of administration of University HR policies and the University's Diversity & Inclusion Strategic Plan.
- Ensure benefit programs and payroll processing are administered efficiently, effectively, and compliant with applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Maximize use of systems to create efficiencies and reduce costs and ensure that all statutory obligations are met.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with labor organizations.
- Oversee all labor relations including negotiations and contract administration.
- Ensure contracts are fair to employees, are fiscally responsible and operationally effective.
- Develop and approve strategies related to contract negotiations.
- Assist with union matters as needed.
- Ensure that employees are treated fairly and equitably in employee practices.
- Consult with legal counsel as appropriate, and/or as directed on personnel matters.
- Assist senior leadership with salary decisions based on comparable market data ensuring they are competitive, fair and within financial constraints of University.
- Coach department managers in carrying out their responsibilities relating to employee relations matters.
- Direct and review all employee learning and development, including the new hire training and the annual ethics training for all SIUE employees, and the Employee Excellence Program.
- Communicate changes in company personnel policies and procedures and ensure proper compliance is followed.
- Manages the department budget within guidelines and other duties as assigned to meet the changing needs of the University.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Relevant bachelor's degree and master's degree in related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of management experience in human resources with a minimum of 5 years in a managerial role over multiple HR functions.
- Labor Relations experience highly preferred.
Applicants must submit (upload) a letter of application, resume, unofficial academic transcripts, including those for SIUE, and a list of at least three professional references through HireTouch. This position is a current Administrative / Professional vacancy at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. The position posting will close to applicants at close of business, 4:30 pm CST, on the posting end date. Applicants will be subject to a background check and/or drug screening prior to an offer of employment.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workforce. We will not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, national origin, religion, disability, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation or veteran’s status. We encourage applications from women, minorities, protected veterans and people with disabilities.