Department Chair, Community Medicine
Department Community Medicine
Vacancy Number F19-017
Work Location Macon
Mercer University School of Medicine (MUSM) is seeking to hire a Department Chair for the Department of Community Medicine at our Macon, Georgia campus. This is a full-time, tenure-track faculty position with rank to be determined based on the credentials of the final candidate. This position will begin as early as July 1, 2018. Responsibilities include:
• Fostering excellence in teaching, research and scholarly activity in departmental faculty
• Encouraging and demonstrating service to students
• Serving as a mentor and role model for faculty and students
• Collaborating and working to strengthen relationships with all health disciplines with strong support the importance of the interdisciplinary health team
• Working to build and strengthen ties with practicing physicians in rural Georgia and promoting development of clinical rotations
• Participating in patient care through regularly scheduled clinics at Mercer Medicine
• Providing leadership and encouraging faculty to look for extramural support for departmental research and scholarly programs
• Working with the office of University Advancement as needed
• Developing a support structure and implementing a program to bring value to volunteer community preceptors
• Assisting in the development of a data analytics platform to support healthcare transition and planning
• Managing other faculty and staff within the department of Community Medicine
An MD degree from an accredited college or university with additional training or experience in public health, preventive medicine, and/or community medicine is required. Compliance with Rules of Georgia Board of Medicine is also required. The successful candidate must have an established record of leadership and knowledge of the needs of rural and under-served communities in Georgia and demonstrate a commitment to educate students and develop outreach to these communities. Must have knowledge of population health as well as a strong research focus in rural health and health disparities with a commitment to work towards the development of a strategic rural health plan for MUSM.
The Chair will work with faculty to develop their expertise and research in rural health and health disparities as well as develop measurable outreach to rural and under-served populations on a regular and continual basis. The Chair must also be willing to set expectations for faculty and base evaluations on expectations as outlined along with a commitment to service and equality of experiences for students on all three MUSM campuses (Macon, Savannah, and Columbus).
The incumbent must have the ability to manage department financial, academic, administrative, and personnel matters along with strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills. Must be creative, innovative, and have a disruptive vision of health needs in rural Georgia and must be receptive to change and continuous quality improvement.
Selection of the final candidate is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
For consideration, candidates must submit an online application and attach a cover letter, CV, and names and contact information for at least three professional references.
A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Inquiries can be directed to Laura Bland, email@example.com.
Is a criminal background check needed for this position? Yes
Is a credit check needed for this position? No
Does this position require travel for University business in a rental car or University owned vehicle? No
Job Category Faculty
Job Type Full-Time
Pay Rate Commensurate with experience
Pay Basis Monthly
Internal posting only? No
Open Until Filled YesSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae