Director of Business Operations, Facilities
The Director of Business Operations, Facilities supports Bucknell's Facilities department through development, implementation and supervision of internal business programs and operations, including gathering, categorizing, analyzing and disseminating financial/administrative information. This individual serves as business manager for a Facilities organization consisting of over 240 personnel, an annual operating budget of approximately $20 million, an annual capital equipment budget of over $400K, and an annual facilities capital budget of over $7 million.
The Director of Business Operations, Facilities is responsible for strategic development and implementation of the most efficient and cost effective means for providing facility services to the campus community, producing and analyzing data/metrics related to internal operations and external support, and advising on allocation of available resources. This position reports to the Associate Vice President for Facilities and Sustainability.
Specific duties and responsibilities includes:
• Manages all aspects of Facilities business management/processes, including:
- supervision and management of the Facilities front office. Oversees office processes, including, but not limited to, customer service, work input/control, timekeeping, filing systems, and internal mail distribution;
- Facilities' internal process oversight, assuring all University required procedures, including those related to timekeeping and control of financial resources, records and accountability, are disseminated appropriately and followed;
- internal administrative/HR programs, such as personnel administration (including performance management and enhancement), employee relations (including functioning as departmental ombudsperson), safety, governmental regulatory compliance, insurance claims, and training;
- inter/intra-department communications, including Facilities newsletter and website, and development/maintenance of standardized internal forms, letters, memos and response systems for inquiries and requests for services;
- Facilities financial and information management procedures, including developing, implementing, overseeing technical direction and guidance for all Facilities financial management functions, purchasing/procurement processes and inventory control for supplies and services. Consults with Bucknell's Finance Office, including discussing business concepts and philosophies, cost allocation and recovery methodologies, and audit procedures;
- department software procurement, administration and maintenance. Liaisons with Library and Information Technology (L&IT) as functional area owner of department IT requirements, periodic computer replacement process, and Facilities specific software administration, maintenance, and updates. Works with other departments to coordinate departmental training/use of University management information systems.
• Develops, implements, and manages Facilities business functions and processes, including, but not limited to, long-range strategic initiatives, change management, metrics, procurement and budgeting processes. Develops and routinely updates, using internal and external resources, benchmarks/metrics to guide/inform decision making.
• Oversees and manages the coordination of Facilities annual operating and capital equipment budget preparation. Provides guidance, information and technical assistance in preparation of budgets and requests. Collects and reviews budget data to maintain consistency. Oversees preparation of the overall Facilities operating budget for review, approval and submission to Finance. Develops ongoing budget performance/cost control reports, monitors and analyzes internal progress (including use of KPI's), and provides financial guidance and recommendations to the AVP.
• Oversees the adherence to OSHA standards and utilization of safe practices and procedures. Represents Facilities on the University Workplace Safety Committee and serve as the Chair of the Facilities Safety Committee.
• Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of related business operations/management experience in a large, multi-faceted Facilities (or similar service type organization) or 9 years of related business operations/ management experience in a large, multi-faceted Facilities (or similar service type organization).
• Experience directly supervising a service oriented office staff operating in a team-oriented environment.
• Knowledge of business management and operations, performance analysis methods, management information gathering and display, and accounting processes/techniques.
• Demonstrates commitment to social (diversity and inclusiveness), economic, and environmental sustainability.
• Excellent organizational abilities, including experience in use of computer information systems and budgeting programs.
• Proven written and verbal communication skills, demonstrating the ability to communicate with personnel in all areas of the University community.
• In-depth personnel experience, showing the ability to develop teamwork, enhance performance, and resolve disputes.
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in business or management.
• Demonstrated facility business operation and management skills and a focus on timely and high-quality customer service.
• Experience gathering and analyzing disparate data sources that lead to strategic or operational improvements.
• Experience leading or implementing strategic planning or major organizational change.
Bucknell University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities.
Bucknell University is a private, highly selective, unique national University where liberal arts and strong professional programs in engineering, business, education and music complement each other. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell's efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Bucknell is a NCAA Division I (FCS) and Patriot League member institution that sponsors 27 varsity athletics programs. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an architectural gem that has been ranked as one of America's best small towns. The Lewisburg area offers a unique combination of outdoor recreation opportunities, and appealing amenities such as art galleries, an art deco theater, historic museums, and charming independent boutiques and restaurants. In addition to the many cultural and athletic events offered by the University and the Borough, the surrounding region offers outstanding schools, medical facilities, and an affordable cost of living. For those who crave the city, Bucknell is within an easy three-hour drive to Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.