Requisition # 2018-8519
Department Research Integrity & Assurance
Category Research and Laboratory
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Princeton University seeks a highly motivated, well-qualified individual to serve as Compliance Administrator, IRB in the office of Research Integrity and Assurance (RIA). Reporting to the Assistant Director of RIA, this position will provide subject matter expertise in our human research protection program (HRPP) that involves primarily social and behavioral research. This is an exciting and unique opportunity to help build a successful program, manage a new electronic management system, and be part of a team working to create a culture of compliance at Princeton.
The Compliance Administrator, IRB will help create a research compliance program that facilitates research while ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations, policies, and guidelines. This will be accomplished by working as part of a team to perform any number of capacities independently, including, but not limited to, serving as a designated reviewer (reviewing expedited items on behalf of the IRB Chair); advising researchers about human subjects protection issues; conducting audit reviews as part of post-approval monitoring; conducting training programs for staff, researchers, administrators and students; and performing administrative tasks such as issuing correspondence and drafting the IRB meeting minutes. The incumbent will oversee and navigate important and sensitive interactions with key stakeholders across campus, including senior administrators, faculty, students, and staff.
The successful candidate will bring to the University a strong background in research administration, including broad and nuanced knowledge of compliance regulations, and have a proven track record supporting a robust research compliance program. The Administrator will have outstanding interpersonal and management skills, a collaborative style, and a reputation for successfully working with faculty, staff, and students in achieving their research goals. This person will be an ambassador who will work as part of a team to develop and implement strategic plans in support of the vision and mission of the RIA. A limited relocation package may be available for the position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In general, the members of RIA are responsible for supporting the office in accordance with federally mandated regulations and Princeton University policies. Among other areas, the RIA office ensures compliance and promotes the ethical conduct of research in the areas of Institutional Review Board for human subject (IRB), Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), and Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC). As a direct report to the Assistant Director of RIA, the Compliance Administrator coordinates research compliance matters for the Institutional Review Board for Human Subjects (IRB).
- The Compliance Administrator advises the research community about human subjects protection issues and institutional policy. Specifically, the Compliance Administrator has the following responsibilities:
- 30%: Trains the IRB and the research community.
- 20%: Reviews submissions designated by the IRB Chairperson.
- 20%: Attends IRB committee meetings, drafts the meeting minutes, and issues correspondence.
- 10%: Audits protocols as part of a post-approval monitoring program.
- 10%: Assists with special projects to address current and anticipated needs of the University's compliance program requirements.
- Maintains the IRB database to track all active, pending, and terminated protocols/proposals.
- Helps manage submissions, such as responding to incoming messages, archiving printed documents, and maintaining organization of all communications.
- Understands the mission and needs of RIA, including service to the faculty and a thorough understanding of how federal requirements relate to University compliance goals.
- Works effectively and collaboratively with researchers and administrative staff.
- Acts as the liaison between the IRB and the Office of Research and Project Administration.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of five years' experience working in a research compliance environment in higher education or a related field
- An understanding of federal rules and regulations that relate to human subjects research.
- Demonstrated communication skills, both written and oral.
- Demonstrated experience with electronic management systems.
- Demonstrated reliability.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, attention to detail, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated training skills using various media.
- Demonstrated auditing, quality assurance or quality improvement skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a diverse audience.
- Computing proficiency, and the ability to manage data and generate reports.
- Evidence of self-motivation and ability to work independently and within a team.
- Demonstrated multitasking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and identify, prioritize, and plan tasks and projects necessary to meet goals.
- Demonstrated ability to innovate and problem solve.
- Demonstrated emphasis on customer service.
- High degree of personal integrity and ethics with uncompromising standards.
- Proven ability to form partnerships with faculty to accomplish compliance objectives.
- A commitment to professional development and ability to travel to national and regional meetings for training, updates, networking, and making presentations
- Advanced degree.
- PRIM&R Certified IRB Professional (CIP®)
- Membership in professional organizations.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.