Assistant High Containment Laboratory Director
Salary: $53,700 - $79,800
Title: Assistant High Containment Laboratory Director
Category: Management and Professional
Department: RED Research Centers
Date Posted: 02/23/2018
Position Information: Under the general direction of the High Containment Laboratory Director, the incumbent will assist in providing support for research conducted in high containment laboratories including but not limited to: support and coordination for day-to-day operations, laboratory security, management of space, coordination with researchers, USDA-APHIS compliance, uniform safety and training programs, and state -of-the-art Select Agent (SA) Programs for all BSL3 programs at or affiliated with UCR research including Biosafety Level 3 (BSL-3), Animal Biosafety Level 3, Biosafety Level 3 Plant, and Arthropod Containment Level 3 laboratories. Under the direction of the High Containment Laboratory Director, the incumbent may collaborate with other campus units as needed, may assist by providing knowledge and skills to researchers, laboratory staff, and students who work with BSL-3 pathogens and SAs in a biocontainment research laboratory. The Assistant High Containment Laboratory Director may also be a resource for the greater campus and support the Biosafety Program with biosafety compliance and guidance, biohazard response planning, and participate in campus emergency response as needed. The work locations will be both on and off campus where the BSL-3 facilities are located.
Minimum Requirements: Solid organizational skills to plan, organize, and prioritize multiple projects.
Good written, verbal, and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively in a diverse environment.
Working skills in the appropriate use of technology and relevant scientific equipment as required.
Solid, comprehensive working knowledge/understanding of a specific EH&S field including related laws and regulations, and general understanding of all EH&S fields.
Within high containment, maintains knowledge and expertise on existing/proposed changes in all regulations.
Preferred Qualifications: Prior experience in BSL-3 environments.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview