The Buyer under the supervision of the Director of Purchasing, is responsible for the planning, directing, and coordination of the purchasing of materials, equipment, facilities, supplies, and services across the University or as directed by the Director of Purchasing. They will also be responsible for coordinating with Finance and Legal, maintaining vendor relationships and negotiating rates/terms for purchases.
• Maintain records of contracts negotiated, ordered and received.
• Source new vendors and manage vendor terms, pricing, and relationships for all vendors.
• Process requisitions and purchase orders as needed.
• Coordinate with other departments including finance and legal for the negotiation and implementation of the contracts.
• Participate in the development of specifications for but not limited to curriculum, materials, equipment, facilities, supplies and services
• Process contract, bid or purchase order requests. Monitor current market to ensure competitive pricing
• Maintain purchasing instructions, policies and procedures; communicate and educate WGU employees to ensure compliance
• Review purchase orders and contracts for conformance to company policies
• Lead in the negotiating of contracts, terms/pricing; ensure best prices and services are obtained in assigned areas of responsibilities
• Establish forecasting and trend analysis to effectively predict business needs
• Manage vendor relationships through vendor business reviews of their contractual performance.
• Administer purchasing systems as needed.
• Must be able to learn new technologies and adapt to moving priorities
• Strong negotiation and organizational skills required
• Excellent decision-making skills a necessity
• Excellent skills in Microsoft Office products required
• Bachelor’s degree in business, supply chain, finance, or related field required
• Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in purchasing, vendor management or supply chain required
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States