Manager of Communications
Manager of Communications
Posting Number: R0000956
Location: Salem Campus
Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page -- must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
Position Summary:The Communications Manager is responsible for strategic communications involving the law school, including writing and editing external communications and marketing materials, developing and deploying content for the College's website and video boards, and developing and implementing a social-media marketing strategy that consistently articulates the College of Law's mission. The Communications Manager also oversees production of a broad range of print and electronic materials, including the alumni magazine The Lawyer. The Communications Manager works closely with the Director of Recruitment and Student Activities to develop admissions-related marketing materials, such as the Viewbook and program-specific advertisements and marketing materials. The Communications Manager is the primary media contact for the law school and is responsible for coordinating all media inquiries. The Communications Manager
assists with the overall strategic initiatives of the University to increase law school visibility and ranking, increase student enrollment and enhance development efforts on behalf of Willamette University College of Law.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Writes, compiles, and edits content for press releases and/or magazine articles, social-media outlets, the website, and other external and internal collateral material including brochures, posters, newsletters, invitations, banners, and video materials for the College of Law website and video boards.
- Develops and implements a strategic social media campaign and tracks the level of engagement of the social- media plan.
- Works closely with the College of Law Director of Recruitment and Student Activities to develop and create admission-related marketing materials, such as the Viewbook and other program-specific marketing materials, in both print and electronic format.
- Works with the University Marketing Communications team to plan, develop and produce various College of Law publications, including The Lawyer, to increase appreciation for the college among alumni and in the greater legal community and general population.
- Writes timely and compelling news stories about College of Law faculty, staff, students and alumni that are of interest to a broad range of audiences.
- Works with campus graphic designers to produce effective publication designs and with the campus photographer to capture compelling and attractive photos to accompany College of Law publications and website materials.
- Develops professional relationships with state, regional and national media to assist with the placement of news stories regarding the College of Law, its faculty, and/or students.
- Assists the College of Law's Director of Development and Director of Alumni Relations with the creation of development and alumni relations materials.
- Writes content and art directs slides for the law school's digital signage. Manages slide traffic.
- Coordinates and provides support for media relations, advertising/editorial calendars, vendor relationships, presentations, special events, and other promotional programs and displays.
- Performs other marketing-related tasks and functions as determined by the Dean.
- Such other tasks as may be assigned by the Dean.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position. A bachelor's degree, ideally in marketing, communications, or other related field, is preferred.
Experience: At least 1 year experience in a public relations or marketing role with experience developing content and cultivating online communities for social media is preferred. College level internship experience may suffice.
Computer Skills: Experience with web page copy editing and search engine optimization (SEO) preferred. Experience with a content management system (CMS) required. The successful candidate will have thorough experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe Creative Suite or other layout/photo editing software, and an email marketing system (MailChimp, Constant Contact, Emma, BlueHornet, etc.).
The successful candidate must possess excellent writing and proofreading skills and familiarity with marketing tactics, analytics, and AP style. In addition, the candidate must be able to meet deadlines; prioritize and coordinate projects; possess great attention to detail; and be self-directed, team-focused, and results oriented.
Required: Experience with executing email marketing campaigns, event promotion services, and graphic design.
Preferred: Experience developing content for websites and social media platforms (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter,
YouTube or Vimeo, Instagram) and experience distributing press releases and working with the media.
You will need to upload the following two documents as part of your application materials:
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve emphasis
- Current Resume
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Manager-of-Communications_R0000956-1
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.