Instructional Consultant: Focus on Biological, Physical, and Health Sciences
Instructional Consultant: Focus on Biological, Physical, and Health Sciences CRLT University of Michigan
Instructional Consultant: Focus on Biological, Physical, and Health Sciences The Center for Research on Learning and Teaching (CRLT) seeks to welcome a new colleague to work with instructors at the University of Michigan across the biological, physical, and health sciences. Experience in college teaching is required and familiarity with clinical teaching is highly desirable. This is an excellent opportunity to contribute to the work of a well-supported center and to collaborate on initiatives underway at the University of Michigan, including a major effort around Interprofessional Education (IPE) in the health sciences. Applicants with extensive experience in faculty development will be considered for an Assistant Director title. Candidates from groups historically underrepresented in faculty development are encouraged to apply.
- Consult with faculty, graduate student instructors (GSIs), and academic units across the biological, physical and health sciences about teaching, curriculum development, and program evaluation
- Design and facilitate programming to support and improve teaching at the university including customized workshops, teaching orientations and academies and other large scale events.
- Promote pedagogical methods appropriate for a diverse student body
- Job requirements
- A completed doctorate in the biological, physical, health sciences or a related discipline by the start of the appointment
- Experience teaching at the college level (including classroom, laboratory or clinical settings)
- Experience in faculty and/or GSI development (e.g., consultations, workshop design & facilitation, etc.)
- Understanding of and contributions towards diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education through research, teaching, and/or service
- Ability to work collaboratively and contribute to a respectful and inclusive work environment
- Ability to work effectively in settings of social and intellectual diversity
- Excellent communication skills
- Desired qualifications
- Familiarity with current trends in biological, physical and health sciences education in the undergraduate, graduate, and professional school arenas, including Interprofessional Education (IPE)
- Familiarity with the literature on faculty development and learning improvement
- Experience with educational assessment or research
- Experience planning and/or facilitating large-scale events (e.g., teaching orientations, conferences)
- Understanding teaching and learning needs at a major research university
- To apply
- Submit a CV and cover letter (bundled as a single document) at http://www.umich.edu/~jobs/ (Search using the UM Jobs posting number 150630).
- For questions, contact Erping Zhu, Associate Director (734-763-3757, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Starting date As soon as possible. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
CRLT, founded in 1962, was the first university teaching center. CRLT provides comprehensive curricular and instructional development programs and is dedicated to the support and advancement of teaching and learning at the University of Michigan. CRLT instructional consultants partner with faculty members, graduate student instructors, the academic administration, and students in all nineteen UM schools and colleges to promote a university culture that values and rewards teaching, respects and supports differences, and encourages instructional environments in which diverse students can learn and excel. We are a highly collaborative and productive group, and we look forward to welcoming new staff to our team. For information about CRLT, visit http://www.crlt.umich.edu.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer.