Teaching Dental Assistant
Teaching Dental Assistant
Department: Department of Pediatric Dentistry
Campus: San Francisco
Posting Number: 201301281P
Full or Part Time: Full Time
Number of Months: 12
Position is full-time, 7.5 hours per day, 5 days per week.
Open Date: 02/20/2018
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Summary Information
Under the general supervision of the Pediatric Clinic Manager, demonstrates and instructs concepts of four-handed dentistry in the Pediatric clinical setting to dental students.
1. Instruct and apply principles of efficient, and effective clinical pediatric procedures utilizing appropriate teamwork in a clinical setting:
2. Instruct students with the use of electronic patient health records to include patient presentation worksheet, treatment plan/options/fees and preventive instruction and intervention.
3. Evaluate and grade student's preparedness and proficiency working with pediatric patients; utilize one-on-one demonstrations, immediate feedback/corrections and faculty collaboration for daily electronic student performance evaluations.
4. Support the Humanistic Values of the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry.
5. Conduct Pediatric Clinic and chair side orientations, training of new staff, and assist in orientation of new faculty.
6. Perform outreach responsibilities which result in a positive impact upon the student/clinical experience to include the following:
7. Perform teaching/training to include:
8. Assist with all patients, monitor patient vital signs, assist with special needs and medically compromised patients.
9. Provide chairside dental assisting duties as needed for faculty doctors in the Pediatric Clinic and/or in the operating room setting.
10. Perform all other duties as assigned by the Pediatric Clinic Manager and/or the Chairperson of Pediatric Dentistry.
1. Position is full-time, 7.5 hours per day, 5 days per week.
2. May require working at offsite location if assigned to operating room.
3. Occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens may reasonably be anticipated. Personal protective equipment will be provided to reduce or eliminate exposure to routine or limited infectious agents.
1. Chairside dental assisting techniques.
2. Sterilization techniques.
3. Pediatric clinical techniques.
4. Emergency procedures (CPR).
1. Explain pediatric procedures/four-handed principles.
2. Work well with children.
3. Perform effective teaching/training to other departments/schools within the University.
Minimum of three year's chairside dental assisting in a Pediatric private dental practice or dental clinic setting.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Current RDA license.
3. Current California X-ray license.
4. Current CPR certification.
1. Teaching experience as a dental assistant desirable.
1. Communicate effectively with faculty, staff and public.
2. Monitor dental student performance and provide objective evaluations.
3. Organize, coordinate, and conduct professional outreach programs.
4. Follow verbal/written instructions.
5. Project a professional image.
6. Function as a team member in a professional manner with co-workers and faculty in a busy clinical setting.
7. Set guidelines with appropriate follow-through with dental students/patients.
Bilingual (i.e. Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin).
Current CDA license desirable.
The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Position requires alternate walking, standing, and sitting.
2. May require standing for long periods of time dependent upon patient/clinic needs.
3. Frequent reaching and handling of dental instruments.
4. May be requested to assist with temporary physical restraint of patients in emergency situations.
5. Occasional pushing, pulling; occasional lifting of up to 25 lbs.
Hiring Range: $30.70 per hour
Background Check Statement
Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.
To apply, visit: https://pacific.peopleadmin.com/postings/11505
AA/EEO Policy Statement
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.