Student Payroll Coordinator
Date: February 23, 2018
Title: Student Payroll Coordinator
Position: Full-time, 10-month position
Description: Under the supervision of the Director of Payrolls, the Student Payroll Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of clerical and accounting activities related to all student payroll functions. The Student Payroll Coordinator also provides timely and accurate bi-weekly payroll to all students and payment for student liabilities; Complies with federal and state laws and college procedures and policies; Must maintain positive cooperative relationships with students, parents, all staff and faculty. Work collaboratively with student supervisors. A team player and keeping all students’ need foremost. Provide support and backup to Director of Payrolls as appropriate. Provide controller’s office with regular monthly accounting and general ledger functions. Provide back-up for accounts payable clerk in their absence.
- Compile timely and accurate paperwork including all tax forms related to academic student hourly and contractual employment. Direct supervisors (staff and faculty) regarding federal and college procedures and policies for student employees. Print, process and distribute time cards to supervisors for all student workers. Verify, authorize and enter all student time cards pertaining to the paycheck process and issue all student paychecks. Student payroll averages 450 bi-weekly checks for the academic year. Process hand-pay checks for lost and stale dated checks. Issue stop payments with the bank when required.
- Maintain and enter departmental journal entries. These include bookstore, postal, UPS, copy center, postal permits, vehicle, facility, audio-visual, technology services and fringe benefits. Track monthly and follow-up on anything out of the ordinary
- Works with Financial Aid to move student earnings and positions as their packaging allows. Collaborate with departments moving students as their budgets allow
- Provide assistance and coverage to Director of Payrolls when need arises.
- Assist with college credit card documentation and payment.
- Work with check reconciliation process. Monitor outstanding checks and other accounting functions aiding the assistant controller.
- Provide coverage in account payable clerk’s absence. Assist clerk when possible, including filing and matching of checks
- Monitor miscellaneous income. Research and deposit checks to correct accounts
- Ability to create and maintain positive relationships with all internal and external constituents
- Vocational/Technical/Business school experience/classes along with strong computer skills is required. Some college and 1 to 3 years of payroll experience, preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer skills including proficiency with e-mail, Microsoft Office: Word and Excel
- Customer service oriented
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and general ledger
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly in a courteous, professional manner, both verbally and in writing
- Experience performing accurate and timely work in an organized and efficient manner with minimal direction
- Must be accurate and proficient at data entry
- Knowledge of general office procedures required
- Ability to quickly and accurately resume work with multiple interruptions
- Knowledge of payroll and familiarity with tax forms
- Must have ability to sit and enter data at computer for extended periods of time
Hartwick College Information:
An independent, residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1,400 full-time undergraduates, Hartwick embraces the teacher-scholar model, with teaching excellence as the first priority, and seeks to recruit, retain and promote a diverse workforce.
Located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley in Oneonta, NY, near the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains, the College features a Liberal Arts in Practice curriculum and aspires to "be the best at melding liberal arts education with experiential learning."
Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, and prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression. Hartwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to broadening “the understanding, awareness, and appreciation of diversity among all members of the Hartwick community.” Women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Hartwick College is committed to providing a safe and secure educational environment. Employment at Hartwick College is therefore contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick College is committed to a diverse candidate pool, values an inclusive workforce and workplace environment, and wishes to minimize or eliminate the impact of implicit bias during the search and hiring process. To apply, please submit two single pdf copies of your application materials. One of these copies should have any and all reference to your name redacted. The other copy should leave any reference to your name intact. Both copies should be inclusive of the content below.
- cover letter
- Diversity Statement – a statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College’s Diversity Statement (https://www.hartwick.edu/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/)
- and the names and contact information for three references (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor)
All materials should be sent electronically to Jarvis McCowin, Coordinator of Inclusion, at email@example.com with [Position Title] in the subject line. Applications may also be mailed to the Office of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY 13820 or faxed to 607-431-4329. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
To see an example of a redacted resume, please visit the following (https://www.hartwick.edu/about-us/employment/human-resources/employment-opportunities/staff-positions/redacted-staff/).