Reports To: Provost and Dean of the College
Overview: This administrative position is responsible for leadership, planning, service delivery and day-to-day management of Augustana’s Thomas Tredway Library. Leading a staff of 13, the library is central to the academic initiatives of the college. The Director works collaboratively with both faculty and administrative leaders across campus to support the mission and vision of the college and to continue a nationally-recognized program of course-integrated information literacy instruction led by our librarians.
- Six faculty librarians
- Head of Circulation
- Administrative Assistant
- Oversees all library and library related operations including budget oversight and management as well as facilities issues. Works collaboratively with other departments housed within the Gerber Center for Student Life to ensure mutual success.
- Stays abreast of trends in the field to understand, anticipate and lead future library initiatives, advocating on campus and beyond as needed.
- Provides direct supervision to 6 faculty librarians, Head of Circulation, and administrative assistant, providing robust and continual feedback, setting goals, and managing performance to ensure library and college goals are met.
- Promotes and implements the college’s commitment to shared governance and promote strong teamwork and comraderie among librarians and staff.
- Works closely with the Provost and Dean of the College to create short and long range decisions and planning. Works with other members of the Provost’s leadership team on initiatives and serves on college-wide teams, task-forces and committees as requested.
- Collaborates with teaching faculty across the campus to continually improve the ways in which the library supports the academic mission and the needs of our faculty and students.
- Works to deepen existing connections between the library and offices across campus - including CORE, Admissions, Development, and others to further support the mission and vision of the college.
- Works with the Special Collections librarian to use this resource as a “laboratory of the humanities,” and advocates for the importance of research with original primary source documents as a learning opportunity for undergraduates
- Maintains and strengthens collaborative efforts with consortia and other peer groups, notably the Oberlin Group and CARLI
- Develops the library’s proposed annual operating budget with input from appropriate personnel; monitors the budget throughout the fiscal year and makes adjustments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Education: MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA accredited program required.
Experience: 8 or more years of work related experience in an academic library setting or equivalent. Prior management and/or leadership experience preferred.
Skills & Abilities:
- Deep understanding and commitment to the liberal-arts model of higher education.
- Demonstrated experience leading, managing and mentoring a team of professionals, as well as leadership of programs, staff, and processes in a learning centered library setting
- Ability to work and collaborate with a diverse group of colleagues, students and campus community members. Ability to create programs and offerings that foster diversity and inclusion in all aspects of library service and function.
- Effective management and delegation skills with the ability to inspire and motivate direct reports and colleagues.
- Knowledge of trends and best practices within the industry with the ability to adept them in a changing environment.
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing a budget.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 15 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. The ability to use a computer to create work outcomes.
Special Requirements: The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check.
Note: This job description is subject to change and is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.
Application procedures: To apply, please email application materials to email@example.com no later than March 19, 2018. Complete applications must include:
- A cover letter including a salary expectation
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Copy of graduate transcripts
- A sample outline of an library instructional session;
- A library purpose statement demonstrating commitment to excellence in undergraduate education
- Contact information for three professional references.
Additional information about Augustana College and the Quad Cities are available at: http://www.augustanafaculty.org Questions about the position may be directed to Gail Summer, Provost and Dean of the College, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for Library Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly