Adaptive Physical Education Assistant
Adaptive Physical Education Assistant
Closing Date/Time: 3/14/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Part-time
Location: Aptos, CA
Department: Stroke Center - See Sped
The currently advertised part-time, 47.5% (19 hours per week) Adaptive Physical Education Assistant position performs a variety of instructional program support services for adults with congenital and/or acquired disabilities. Provides support for Adaptive Physical Education (A.P.E.) instructors at the Stroke and Disability Learning Center (SDLC); and performs related duties as required or assigned.
In addition, an Adaptive Physical Education Assistant position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other part-time or substitute assignments as needs arise.
- Assists students during the performance of instructional activities which may involve assisted walking, getting on or off equipment, or in and out of wheelchairs
- Assists with two person transfers; must be able to lift up to 100 pounds
- Coordinates materials, equipment, facilities and supplies for classes
- Sets up, installs, maintains and services equipment, materials and supplies used in classes
- Trains students and others in the safe and proper use of specialized physical education equipment
- Maintains physical environment and condition of the facility and equipment
- Answers students' questions regarding class assignments
- Participates in activities, specialized workshops and special events
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Graduation from high school AND one (1) year of experience in instructional support services which has included working with the disabled population.
- College-level coursework in special education, adaptive physical education, physical therapy or a closely related field.
- Principles, theories, practices, methods and equipment common to group activities used in adaptive physical education
- Safety practices for individuals with disabilities
- Basic instructional methods and procedures suitable for individuals with physical disabilities
- Techniques for communicating with individuals of diverse academic, ethnic, socio-economic and cultural backgrounds including persons with disabilities
- Operating and training others in the safe use of adaptive equipment and procedures used in special education and adaptive physical education
- Safely lifting and two person transfer techniques
- Applying and effectively explaining instructional methods and procedures in a manner that can be understood by individuals exhibiting a wide variety of communication and cognitive deficits
- Effectively reading, understanding and prompting course materials to students
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work
- Understanding and following oral and written instructions
- Applying basic emergency and first aid procedures
- Maintaining a pleasant, calm demeanor in emergencies and remaining flexible, patient and compassionate with those contacted in the course of the work
- Ability to lift up to 100 pounds
- Must possess sufficient strength and stamina in order to safely assist disabled students with walking, lifting and wheelchair transferring
- First Aid certification
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification
Salary: *15.68 to 17.28 per hour to start, seven-step schedule to 21.01 per hour. Part-time, 47.5% (19 hours per week), classified hourly assignment, 10 months per year; Monday through Thursday, (Monday, 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.; Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.). Assignment scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued categorical funding and Governing Board approval. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
*Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgement of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues or service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate of gross salary per month.
Please Note: This classified hourly assignment is not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
**To be considered, each applicant MUST SUBMIT:
- Completed online Cabrillo College Application
- Job-related resume
- Current copy of your First Aid certificate
- Current copy of your Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certificate
- Documentation such as college transcripts in response to this position's desirable qualifications of college-level coursework in special education, adaptive physical education, physical therapy or a closely related field.
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: personal photos, social security number, birth place, birth date, age, and gender.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials MUST be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: Wednesday, March 14, 2018.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu