This position is responsible for performing a broad range of highly skilled payroll functions for all employees and student workers on CMC payroll. Duties and responsibilities are varied. This position requires a high level of confidentiality and discretion in working with salaries and confidential employee and College information.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Payroll Supervisor, performs or works independently/collaboratively to perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Assist in the day to day work flow of the Payroll Office.
- Add new employees to the payroll system, process changes relating to compensation and other personal data, terminate employees from the payroll system, and maintain confidential file management.
- Balance or reconcile assigned electronic or manual payroll records; resolve and adjust discrepancies; analyzes reports to identify and locate sources of error.
- Assist student hires in completion of new hire paperwork.
- Maintain payroll files and employee timecard/sheet files.
- Ensure CMC employees and supervisors meet timecard and payroll deadlines.
- Coordinate processing of special payments when necessary.
- Troubleshoot payroll problems and answer employees’ payroll questions in a timely manner.
- Maintain excellent rapport with central payroll personnel (CUC Office of Financial Services).
- Utilize Workday and Kronos Payroll software to manage information and make appropriate changes.
- Performs other essential duties and tasks specific to the position.
OTHER ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
- Ability to take and follow directions.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to receive and respond appropriately to constructive criticism.
- Ability to display a positive attitude.
- Ability to multitask.
Graduation from high school plus two or more years of college or business school with emphasis on payroll/accounting procedures; or any combination of education and experience that provides the required skills and abilities.
A minimum of two years of payroll related
A valid driver’s license is required. A valid driver’s license is required and the ability to be insured under the College’s authorized driver’s policy.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge skills and abilities.
- Deploy professional skills in, in collaboration with colleagues, to best promote the College’s strategic interests.
- Demonstrate effective, accurate and clear communication with excellent/strong verbal, written, interpersonal, reading, phone, and customer service skills. Follow all written and verbal instructions, asking questions as needed for clarification of projects/tasks/duties/assignments.
- Prioritize and perform multiple tasks, meet deadlines, respond to others in a timely manner, and work both independently and as a collaborative member of the College with a high standard of integrity and ethics, in support of the College’s strategic vision and the department’s annual goals.
- Use exceptional organizational and time management skills to complete work with accuracy and a keen attention to details
- Requires proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and databases such as
- Workday and Kronos Time and Attendance.
- Requires an understanding of payroll processes / wage & hour regulations.
- Highly organized; attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines and multi-task.
- Ability to maintain a constant high level of confidentiality in working with salaries and employee and College information.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Interact well with a diverse community.
- Read, write legibly, and follow written and oral instructions in English. Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
- Ability to file and maintain accurate records.
- Excellent customer service attitude; a team player.
- Mathematical ability to calculate payroll information, bills and accounts.
The regular hours for this position are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday. Overtime, holiday, weekend and evening work hours may be required. Travel will/may be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or division. This is a 12 month position.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
This is a non-exempt position.
This is a regular, full-time position.
This is a benefits-eligible position.
IPEDS Category Job Code: 43-0000 Office and Administrative Support Occupations
Physical Requirements: Moderate (up to 30 lbs.)
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE: The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times.
BACKGROUND CHECK: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full consumer background check. Certain positions will require the successful completion of a post-offer physical agility test. Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of the aforementioned, in addition to compliance with requirements cited in this job description.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the College will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.