Director - CESTEM
Brief Summary of Work for this Position:
The Director for CESTEM within the Watson College is a 12-month, full-time EHRA non-teaching position. The general duties of the Director include:
- Securing funding to support CESTEM’s mission by working cooperatively with state representatives, UNC system sister institutions/centers, across the UNCW campus, and within the community to accomplish grant-writing efforts and secure relevant partnerships
- Supervising CESTEM professional and support staff, including an administrative associate (coordinates budget and office related work) and a programming associate (facilitates professional development and competitions), as well as time-limited staff associated with grant funded projects
- Overseeing the CESTEM budget and annual reporting
-Overseeing the CESTEM program evaluation and annual reporting
- Overseeing staff who serve as the director for regional K-12 competitions including but not limited to the North Carolina Science and Engineering Fair (region 2) and Sea Perch
- Serves as the Director of Summer Ventures in Science and Mathematics at UNCW
- Masters degree from an accredited college or university
- Three years of experience teaching in K-12 classrooms with a science or math content or combination of experience working with formal and informal teachers in standards based STEM instruction
- Experience directing programs requiring organization, management, and leadership skills
- Experience in budget management (3 years or more; $500,000 or more)
- Experience in grant writing and management (3 years or more; grants with values of $25,000 individually or $100,000 cumulatively)
- Demonstration of excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstration of ability to work independently in leadership role; oversees staff who are responsible for budget administration and programming
- Demonstration of ability to work collaboratively on grant partnerships, with other center directors, and across UNCW departments/programs
- Masters degree from an accredited college or university in a science or math-based field
- Experience with National Standards, including Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standards
- Experience working with the target population of CESTEM
- Experience providing STEM opportunities for underserved and diverse communities
- Experience with public/private K-12 school districts and university faculty/administrators
- Knowledge of organizational, operational, and structural functions of K-12 schools and universities
- Knowledge of current office computer applications and STEM technology tools
Primary Function of Organizational Unit:
The Center for Education in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (CESTEM) operates as part of the STEM Learning Cooperative for the Watson College of Education. CESTEM leads the efforts of the STEM LC to support STEM learning opportunities for teachers and other education professionals.
CESTEM provides professional development opportunities to regional K-16 instructors and educational opportunities through competitions to regional K-12 students to improve the quality of pre-college science, technology, engineering and mathematics education. CESTEM is responsible for training K-16 teachers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics content knowledge and skills so they have the information and strategies to teach their students.
The Watson College of Education (WCE) (www.uncw.edu/ed) is a growing college with over 60 tenure-track faculty members working in undergraduate and master’s programs in the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle, Literacy and Special Education and the Department of Instructional Technology, Foundations and Secondary Education, and master’s and doctoral programs in the Department of Educational Leadership. It offers several international study programs and maintains partnerships with numerous school districts, community colleges, and colleges/universities in the region.
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to learning through the integration of teaching and mentoring with research and service. A public institution with nearly 16,500 students, the university is known for its superb faculty and staff and powerful academic experience. With an array of high-quality programs at the baccalaureate and master’s levels, and doctoral programs in marine biology, educational leadership, psychology and nursing practice. UNCW is consistently recognized at a national level for academic excellence and affordability by publications like U.S. News & World Report, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance and The Business Journals. UNCW also recently earned the 2015 Community Engagement Classification from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, bestowed to higher education institutions dedicated to community involvement.
UNC Wilmington actively fosters a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified persons from all racial, ethnic or other minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by March 22, 2018; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicants must complete the online application at https://jobs.uncw.edu. The following items are required: letter of application (addressed to appropriate Search Committee), curriculum vitae, and contact information for three professional references. Address application documents to Dr. Sue Kezios. MS Word or Adobe PDF attachments are required. For more information, see http://www.uncw.edu/ed/jobs/index.html.
Please direct questions to CESTEM Director Search, Dr. Sue Kezios (firstname.lastname@example.org), Watson College of Education.
Priority Consideration Information:
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by March 22, 2018; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Position details and full applicant instructions can be found at https://jobs.uncw.edu/postings/10718.