Life Sciences and Bioinformatics Librarian
San Diego State University is a major public research institution offering bachelor’s degrees in 91 areas, master's degrees in 78 areas, and doctorates in 22 areas. The university provides transformative experiences, both inside and outside of the classroom, for its 34,000 students. Students participate in research, international experiences, sustainability and entrepreneurship initiatives, and a broad range of student life and leadership opportunities. The university’s rich campus life features opportunities for students to participate in, and engage with, the creative and performing arts, a Division I athletics program, and the vibrant cultural life of the San Diego region. For more information, visit www.sdsu.edu.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all. SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience in and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
San Diego State University Library & Information Access seeks applications and nominations of dynamic, innovative, and service-oriented candidates for the position of Life Sciences and Bioinformatics Librarian. The successful candidate will provide outreach, research support, collection development and instruction to the departments and programs of Biology, Molecular Biology, Natural Sciences, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, the Neuroscience Area of Excellence, Computational Science, and other research institutes and centers associated with these areas. The incumbent will also support the research data service need across the natural and life sciences; in particular, the librarian will need to be familiar with reference sources for molecular and cellular biological research, popular analytical tools and strategies, and knowledge of research data management best practices.
The successful candidate will be a member of the Reference, Instruction and Outreach group, and secondarily work with the Research and Scholarship functional group. This position coordinates closely with other Sciences Librarians in the delivery of services across related disciplines. This position is appointed at the Senior Assistant Librarian rank. The SDSU Library is in an exciting period of growth and this is a newly-created position.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Serve as the liaison to departments and programs of Biology, Molecular Biology, Natural Sciences, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, the Neuroscience Area of Excellence, and Computational Science;
- Provide research support, teach course-integrated information literacy classes, and develop appropriate collections for relevant programs;
- Maintain current knowledge of emerging trends, best practices, resources, and pedagogical principles in scientific research and biological research data management;
- Provide instruction in the use of tools that aid in life and natural sciences research, such as citation management software, electronic lab notebooks, and data repository options;
- Provide general instruction and research support at the Research Desk and in the classroom;
- Participate in the shared governance of San Diego State University by serving on library, campus-wide, and California State University committees as needed;
- Participate in professional development activities to demonstrate a continuous and meritorious record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession;
- Other duties as needed.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree or equivalent foreign degree;
- An understanding of the current research, information sources, and scholarly trends in the life sciences;
- Demonstrate an understanding of and/or experience of applying the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy in the classroom;
- Knowledge of emerging issues and technologies in life sciences and data management services;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills, particularly the ability to explain complex concepts to a wide variety of users in individual and group settings;
- Competence and sensitivity in working at a university in which students, faculty, and staff are broadly diverse with regard to many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion;
- Ability to work as a team player in maintaining harmonious, cooperative working relationships with administrators, staff, and faculty;
- Potential for meeting the requirements for tenure and promotion based on library service, professional growth, and service to the University and community.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in either the sciences or applied sciences or experience as a science or applied science librarian;
- Experience as a library liaison to a science or applied science discipline, including engaging in research consultations, collection development, and subject instruction;
- Active involvement in professional development activities with a record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession;
- Experience in the development of online tutorials or web guides;
- Experience with learning management systems;
- Willingness to teach outside of assigned subject areas and explore new disciplinary approaches;
- Knowledge of life sciences data repositories, and/or OA in the life sciences.
This is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure track faculty position. Tenure is dependent upon continuing library service effectiveness, professional growth and development, and service to the University and community.
Rank of Senior Assistant Librarian. Salary commensurate with experience and based on CSU Salary Schedule.
Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as 24 vacation days per year.
This position will remain open until filled. Review will begin immediately. Preference will be given to applications received by March 23, 2018. Applicants must apply via Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/49140. Anticipated start date after July 1, 2018.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
San Diego State University is a Title IX, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.