Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire a Department Coordinator to work in its Theatre and Dance Department. This position will provide administrative support for the department, using independent initiative to balance the priorities of the department and individual faculty. The Department Coordinator will be the first point of contact for the Theatre and Dance Department, interacting with students, faculty, staff, and visitors; and will be responsible for general departmental operations, fiscal monitoring, projects/events, management of confidential information, and supervision of student employees.
This is a full-time position over the Academic Year, plus 100 hours over the summer.
• Provide administrative support to faculty in department
• Assist the chair of the department with administrative tasks and procedures, and in planning events, field trips, productions, and receptions
• Act as administrative liaison and point of contact for the department
• Provide oral and written information about department and course offerings to students and others on and off campus
• Organize and coordinate department events
• Organize and maintain important department documents, databases, and department web site
• Hire, train, and supervise student employees, including office workers and building monitors
• Oversee and monitor department budget and make general department purchases
• Assist the production staff in processing purchases for productions
• Oversee and coordinate publicity for events and performances, to include posters, press releases, etc
• Manage the house management/box office, to include supervising student ushers and box office staff, being responsible for audience safety, and online sales
• 1-3 Years of general administrative and office coordination experience is required
• Familiarity or experience with the Arts is preferred
• Experience in Higher Education is a plus
• High School Diploma or GED required
• Vocational or technical training in the administrative/office field, Associates degree in the administrative/office field, or Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred
• Proficient in prioritizing multiple projects and tasks, with the ability to work independently as needed
• Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills
• Expert ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal
• Demonstrated ability to work respectfully with sensitive and confidential information
• Evening and weekend hours are required, for special events (an average of 9 events per semester)
• Experience with graphic design, JobX, Google docs and calendar, Banner, Argos, IMS reservations, Word, Excel, and web software
• Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumni from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
For best consideration, please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than March 16, 2018. Review of applications will begin immediately. This posting will remain open until filled.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the US upon employment start date.