Assistant Director of Dining Services, Board Operations
The Assistant Director of Dining Services - Board Operations, under the direction and guidance of the Director of Dining Services, is responsible for personnel and all board operations. Assists the Director in providing vision and leadership to Dining Services with particular emphasis on board operations. Coordinates or directs activities such as training, employee recruiting, vetting, hiring, and scheduling. Works with other Assistant Directors to propose updates to standard operating procedures and assisting with execution of brand, marketing and advertising plans. Strategically plans for units success.
ESSENTIAL AND RELATED FUNCTIONS:
- Manages board operations through direction of operations management and employees for board Dining Services units.
- Works with the Director of Dining Services to strategically plan for fiscally sound units, excellent customer service and effective staff development.
- Increases employee effectiveness through personal and delegated efforts by recruiting, selecting, orientating, training, coaching and developing staff; communicating values, strategies and objectives; assigning accountable tasks; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; developing a climate for offering information and suggestions; and providing and participating in educational opportunities.
- Evaluates direct-report subordinate employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with department standard operating procedures, university policies, and applicable law. Responsibilities include being visible in the units, planning, assigning and directing work; addressing complaints and grievances,and resolving problems; and conducts follow up reviews to measure and address direction-compliance, task assignment completion, as well as meeting expectations and desired outcomes.
- Supports proper methods of utilizing food management software for recipes, production forecasts, procurement, and post-service activities and ensures unit teams support same systems by following recipes and completion of production records.
- Works with Dining Services leadership to ensure departmental unity is evident through teamwork and collaboration. Promotes positive relations among students, the Washington & Lee community and broader Lexington community.
- Assists with management of dining services operations as needed, e.g. to cover sick-calls, Alumni Weekend, Homecoming, and other special functions or events.
- Additional related duties as assigned.
A bachelor's degree is required with a minimum of 5 years experience in supporting food service operations or equivalent education and experience from which a similar skill-set would be obtained. Demonstrated leadership skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, and commitment to quality. Ability to work independently under general supervision, is detail oriented with ability to multi-task.
Washington and Lee is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As such, we are interested in candidates who are committed to high standards of scholarship, performance and professionalism and to the development of a campus climate that supports equality and diversity in our faculty, staff and student body. Job description requirements are representative, but not all‐inclusive of the knowledge, skill, and abilities needed to successfully perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.