Director of Recruitment
The Director of Recruitment takes a leadership role in successfully strategizing and implementing the College’s recruitment and outreach initiatives so as to measurably increase prospective student interest in and qualified applicants to the College. This includes, but is not limited to, managing the execution of the department’s high school visit program and Community College recruitment initiatives, overseeing and monitoring application numbers and yields for schools, overseeing and managing innovative follow-up programs to increase yield from prospects and applicants, developing and implementing creative recruitment initiatives to increase qualified applications from diverse and domestic applicants, and managing and motivating a team toward effectively accomplishing recruitment goals. The Director will also take on execution of school visits to key high schools and colleges throughout the country and world and will also contribute to international recruitment efforts at the undergraduate level. The Director will also counsel individual students and assist with their application and enrollment, and contribute to creative programming and events.
- Bachelor’s degree in visual arts or a marketing discipline from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of 4 years’ managerial experience leading a team towards targeted, results-oriented objectives with demonstrated ability to produce measurable results; preference for art college admissions and recruitment experience
- Demonstrated leadership skills as expressed by specific results and outcomes
- Demonstrable track record of creating, implementing, and managing innovative recruitment programs that resulted in the achievement of ambitious, measurable goals
- Experience utilizing data to formulate appropriate strategies
- Expertise with Microsoft Office and CRM databases
- Deep understanding of and commitment to art and design education
- Must enjoy public contact with the ability to make connections and to view recruitment as a global endeavor
- Must have excellent written and spoken communication skills to serve as an articulate spokesperson for the mission and values of ArtCenter and to work effectively within the department and with key offices
- Ability to work with detailed systems, which is crucial to the prospect and applicant management process
- Effective counseling and listening skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and manage multiple deadlines, recruitment plans, projects
- Demonstrated experience in and a commitment to diversity, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within Art Center’s diverse communities
- Must have valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and reliable vehicle; use of vehicle required for local travel
- Master’s degree in visual arts or a marketing disciple from an accredited college or university
- Prior experience in higher education
- Experience with Datatel/Colleague or related student management software
Essential Functions Department Operations — 50%
- Oversee the College’s complex school visitation program, planning, researching, executing, and managing its successful implementation
- Ensure recruitment efforts are in alignment with the department’s goals and that staff is working together strategically to aggressively fulfill the department’s recruitment objectives and activities
- Manage a team of Assistant and/or Associate Directors of Admissions toward the common goal of fulfilling measurable departmental recruitment objectives and institutional enrollment goals
- Initiate and manage implementation of innovative and effective prospect and applicant follow-up campaigns
- Plan and implement creative, targeted recruitment programs addressing specific recruitment objectives within the department and the institution
- Implement and manage recruitment opportunities with the College’s own Public Programs, which offers non-degree preparatory classes
- Expand and strengthen the reach of our recruitment presence at key feeder schools by creating strategic and aggressive recruitment plans built on analysis of historic data, research into feeder institutions, and ongoing assessment of recruitment effectiveness
- Leverage the department’s CRM to maintain effective reporting practices for recruitment activities and to effectively manage prospect and applicant follow-up activities
- Oversee recruitment, hiring, orientation, training and supervision of direct reports; oversee performance evaluation process, ensuring consistent use of all applicable policies and procedures; counsel, discipline and make recommendations in terminations, as required
Recruitment Management and Implementation — 45%
- Develop key relationships and implement recruitment strategies with ArtCenter Public Programs (ArtCenter at Night and ArtCenter for Teens) for recruitment to the degree programs
- Visit high value schools and academies, providing presentations to students and faculty
- Attend Portfolio Days, visit schools and counsel students in and out of office in individual appointments, including portfolio reviews
- Maintain active relationships with NAEA, CAEA and other arts-based organizations, leveraging recruitment opportunities with such groups whenever possible
- Manage and cultivate relationships with arts educators and transfer offices at top-level schools and academies to the benefit of strategic recruitment efforts, work with Assistant and Associate Directors of Admissions to do the same
- Manage and oversee assigned recruitment territory
Marginal Job Functions — 5%
- Serve on educational or institutional committees as appropriate
- Represent ArtCenter at outside events / conferences as necessary and appropriate
- Maintain memberships and active involvement in applicable professional organizations
Physical Demands and Working Environment The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Work is performed primarily in a standard office setting with frequent interruptions and distractions; extended periods of time viewing computer monitor; interactions with other individuals. Due to the nature of the work environment, there is regular exposure to fumes, dust and noise.
Physical: The position is generally sedentary while in the office, this position does require the employee to be mobile to do site visits and give presentations. Employees sit most of the time, but may walk or stand for brief periods of time. Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting and to travel; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight (up to 20 pounds); to operate modern office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information. Domestic travel by car and airline and overnight travel is required. Able to work nights and weekends to attend events.
Vision: Must be able to have the visual capacity to perform activities such as preparing and reading reports, viewing a computer terminal and other normal office work with or without correction.
Hearing: Must be able to communicate effectively in the course of normal office communication or exchange ideas with or without correction.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the employee assigned to this job; they do not purport to describe all functions. Employees may be assigned other duties, and the essential functions may be changed from time to time as necessary. Updated 02/2018 Apply Job posted 2/13/2018. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Qualified applicants should send cover letter with resume and employment application to [email protected]rtcenter.edu and reference “Director of Recruitment for Admissions” in the subject line.