Requisition # 2018-8514
Department Astrophysical Sciences
Category Grants and Contracts
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Plasma Group in the Department of Astrophysical Sciences seeks a Business Manager to assume primary responsibility for managing research group administrative tasks and grants-related issues and funding. This individual will provide support to 5-6 faculty and their associated researchers of the Plasma Group in Astrophysics located at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab on the Forrestal Campus. The individual will report to the Department Manager.
* Assist Department Manager and Department Chair in processing new and renewal appointments, and academic searches with the Office of the Dean of the Faculty for research and faculty positions within the group;
* Approve CONCUR and non-PO payments;
* Create and approve requisitions and POs as needed;
* Keep track of all grant-supported personnel and reappointment dates;
* Manage labor accounting allocations for the group.
GRANTS - PRE AWARD
*Oversee all phases of pre-award and post-award administration for the group;
*Provide information to principal investigators on the specifics of each grant application ensuring compliance;
*Prepare budgets for new proposals; *Prepare documents as needed for the University Research Board and other University offices;
*Prepare proposal submissions through COEUS (University's grant system);
*Prepare proposal submissions to various government agencies or industry as needed through the sponsor's preferred system;
GRANTS - POST AWARD
* Work with the principal investigator on each grant and advise them on a monthly basis of charges made to each grant, account balances, pending deadlines, and any other grant-related issues;
* Oversee sponsor reporting requirements and ensure all reports are submitted on time, submitting annual and final progress reports as requested;
* Prepare revised budgets and budget justifications for modified grant awards;
* Prepare OPARs (Prior Approval Requests) as required;
* Monitor and allocate effort in Labor Accounting for new hires and update as required;
* Work with Graduate Administrator to verify accounts for graduate student stipend and tuition into Labor Accounting for those supported on grants and audit charges to grants;
* Prepare letters and/or electronic requests for no-cost extensions as needed;
* Verify final reports from ORPA to close out projects;
* Communicate University and sponsored research policies and regulations, ensuring departmental compliance to applicable laws, policies and procedures;
* Serve as liaison between department and University research administration offices as needed;
* Attend all relevant training classes, staying current in policies, procedures and processes that pertain to sponsored research.
* Submit subaward initiation form to ORPA, including all required subaward documents;
* Review invoices for subaward payments and verify accuracy with PI.
Please note that although this is a Princeton University position, the individual will be given an office located at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab and will need to pass a general security and ethics test and any other requirements by the lab for access.
Please submit a cover letter along with your resume for full consideration.
Bachelor's degree in business or related field or 10 years of related experience
5+ years of financial and/or grant management experience
Strong computer skills
Knowledge of budget development, financial analysis and reporting, accounting procedures and reconciliations
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Ability to work independently and simultaneously on multiple projects, meet deadlines and maintain a high level of accuracy and confidentiality in a fast-paced teamwork environment
Experience in the management and administration of sponsored research and grant proposals
Knowledge of OMB regulations and federal compliance
Knowledge of federal grant proposal guidelines
Prior work experience in higher education
Experience with University financial systems
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.