Undergraduate Academic Advisor
Salary: $44,200 - $87,200
Title: Undergraduate Academic Advisor
Category: Management and Professional
Department: SPP - Dean's Office
Date Posted: 02/21/2018
Position Information: As the only UC campus to offer a public policy major, and with a Master of Public Policy recently launched in 2015, the UCR School of Public Policy is training a new generation of forward-thinking policy leaders equipped to address the complex, interrelated challenges of poverty, disease, climate change, pollution and more. The UCR School of Public Policy is the latest addition to the UC Riverside academic enterprise. It is projected to grow over the next few years to include over 110 Master of Public Policy students. Reporting to the Assistant Dean/Chief Financial and Administrative Officer, the Academic Advisor is responsible for providing fundamental academic advising and support services to: Plan and implement undergraduate curriculum advising; recruitment and outreach; matriculation, graduation degree checks; program reporting, and evaluation. Make and clarify decisions, exercising autonomous judgment in providing guidance and counseling to students. Responsible for the interpretation and implementation of policies and procedures. Uses principles of developmental academic advising and knowledge of teaching and learning theory to promote academic, career and life goals in an effort to support student retention, timeliness to degree, academic success as well as intellectual and personal development. Serve in a confidential advisor capacity to the Chair, Directors, Faculty Undergraduate Advisors, and CFAO, to develop short-term and long-term goals to meet the advising needs of all students. In addition, provide academic advising to students seeking readmission to the School, primarily those students enrolled through UCR Extension Concurrent Enrollment.
Minimum Requirements: Ability to multi-task.
Abilities in problem identification, reasoning, ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
Skills in judgment and decision-making, problem solving.
Thorough knowledge of advising and counseling techniques, knowledge of multiple majors, colleges, & schools.
Preferred Qualifications: Thorough knowledge of college/school policies, procedures, and requirements.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview