Citrus Rootstock Horticulturist and Breeder
Salary: $51,936 - $83,520
Title: Citrus Rootstock Horticulturist and Breeder
Category: Science and Research
Department: Botany and Plant Sciences
Date Posted: 11/22/2017
Position Information: Under supervision, provide oversight of the rootstock experiments at LREC, UCR, CVARS and privately owned experimental sites that are part of our Citrus Research Board funded project entitled: Integrated Citrus Breeding and Evaluation for California. Assist other researchers in planning and conducting experiments. Perform hybridizations of Citrus, Poncirus and related species, propagate trees both by seed germination and grafting/budding techniques and maintain trees in the greenhouse. Collect and analyze plant tissue samples and data on plant performance. Communicate with growers and other researchers.
Driver's license is required to travel out in the field to do research.
Minimum Requirements: Education and experience: Bachelor's degree in horticultural science, agronomy or plant science, or plant pathology with horticultural experience. Must have a basic understanding of plant breeding, genetics and statistics.
Preferred Qualifications: Ability to read, write and speak Spanish.
At least 2 years work experience with Citrus.
Current knowledge of State and Federal quarantine regulations relating to citrus.
Experience in plant breeding, experimental design.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview