Description of Position
This full-time, tenure-track academic position is in the Counseling Department, within the Division of Student Services. The major responsibility is to provide comprehensive counseling services to a diverse, multicultural student population. Counseling services include all aspects of academic, transfer, career and personal counseling.
Overview of Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Assist students with the decision-making process and the exploration of alternatives in regard to their educational, career and personal goals.
2. Assist students to prepare for and complete the transfer process to higher degree granting institutions.
3. Assist students in developing and achieving educational, career and personal goals.
4. Provide class instruction in any assigned course according to currently established course outlines and procedures.
5. Adhere to the schedule developed with the Department Chairperson, which may include individual student appointments, drop-in assignments, workshops, and weekend and/or evening assignments.
6. Work with instructional faculty in support of the goals of the institution.
7. Participate in the college shared governance and other committee work on the campus.
Contra Costa College
Master€™s in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy or marriage, family and child counseling,
OR the equivalent. If you do not possess the EXACT minimum qualifications (i.e., you do not possess the exact degree listed) and believe that you meet the minimum qualifications via equivalency, please fill out the equivalency petition form in the document section of the online application.
(NOTE: A bachelor€™s degree in one of the listed degrees
and a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist
(MFT) is an alternative qualification for this discipline.)
1. Desired competencies include serving students representing various populations including those from low socio-economic backgrounds, first generation, multi-lingual, foster youth, LGBTQ+, disabled, immigrants, communities of color, Veterans, student athletes and F-1 international students.
2. Demonstrated commitment to, and experience working with male students of color (particularly African American and Latino) in successfully reaching their personal and academic goals.
3. Proven ability to lead and coordinate learning communities.
4. Experience providing trauma intervention and mental health services.
5. At least one year of recent experience (full, or part time), post Master€™s degree, working as a counselor in a California community college.
6. Demonstrated understanding of the comprehensive nature of general counseling which includes academic, career, and personal counseling as well as teaching.
7. Excellent presentation, facilitation, and instructional skills.
8. Experience teaching, and designing curriculum college, for college-level courses and/or workshops in areas such as college success, career planning/exploration, educational planning, and personal development.
9. Knowledge of the California community college transfer process to public and private four year institutions both within and outside of California.
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled
The Contra Costa Community College District does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, or sexual orientation. This prohibition against unlawful discrimination extends to any person who is perceived to have any of the above characteristics or who is associated with someone who has, or who is perceived to have, any of those characteristics.