Fields and Grounds Technician
Lake Tahoe Community College District announces an opportunity to work part-time in the Maintenance and Operations department. The Fields and Grounds Technician is a position created to meet the needs identified in the maintenance agreement approved by the Community Play Consortium Joint Powers Authority (JPA) for maintenance and operations of the associated three soccer fields.
This position is 28 hours per week and 12 months per year, including summer and winter hours, with evening and weekend responsibilities as needed. This position is non-exempt from overtime compensation. Please see the position description for complete requirements and duties.
LTCC reserves the right to reopen the position or extend the deadline if an adequate applicant pool is not received.
After reviewing applications, those applicants judged most suitable for the position will be invited to initial interviews. These applicants will be notified by phone on or about Friday, April 6, 2018 . First-round interviews are tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, April 18, 2018 . Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview.
Preferred start date:
Under the direction of the Director of Facilities or designee, perform a variety of specialized athletic turf and grounds maintenance to assigned areas; perform minor custodial duties; set up and tear down for events perform snow removal operations using plows, blowers, power and hand tools and equipment.
Perform day-to-day maintenance and repair of athletic fields; natural and synthetic turf maintenance; and trash removal and recycling. Maintain soccer field maintenance equipment and related supplies inventory. Operates various types of equipment in the maintenance of natural and synthetic turf. Perform season long maintenance of athletic fields.
Set-up, take-down, and perform minor maintenance and repair to equipment for athletic, community, and campus events; set up and operate score boards and public announcement system; make minor repairs as necessary.
Install, maintain, test, repair, and perform seasonal startup and winterization of irrigation systems.
Coordinate maintenance activities and maintenance schedules with appropriate stakeholders as appropriate regarding use of athletics fields.
Measures, layouts, marks, lines and paint athletic fields and play areas for practice and competition; line with appropriate marking materials or equipment to delineate the area of play and restricting lines as prescribed and established by league and sport rules; design and mark specific practice areas as requested.
Mows lawns and fields; rakes leaves, hoes, and removes weeds, removes litter and debris, clearing sidewalks and curbs.
Evaluates class and sports schedules to formulate and alter turf maintenance and watering schedules; plans, schedules and organizes grounds keeping and grounds maintenance work for athletic facilities.
Must work the days and hours necessary (includes nights, weekends and holidays) to perform all assigned responsibilities and tasks. Must be available (especially during regular business hours or shifts) to communicate with supervisors, customers, vendors and any other persons or organization(s) with whom interaction is required to accomplish work and employer goals.
Maintain assigned areas; plant, water, cultivate, weed, fertilize, cut and trim lawns, shrubs, trees and flower beds; prepare and fertilize soil; water various grounds areas by hand or by operating the irrigation system. Plant, cultivate, prune, spray, fertilize and irrigate flowers, trees, grass and shrubs; hoe and pull weeds and rake leaves and pine needles; edge walkways; remove litter and debris from walkways, driveways and other assigned surface areas.
Operate a variety of power-driven equipment such as tractors, mowers, edgers, blowers, power pressure sprayers and other equipment used in grounds maintenance work; utilize standard gardening hand tools.
Monitor walkways, roadways and campus areas for unsafe conditions and unauthorized use; clear hazards; monitor parking and other violations as required. Perform snow and ice removal operations, storm cleanup and other emergency operations.
Assist with general construction duties to include: placing and finishing concrete, grading, roofing, carpentry, and other minor maintenance. Assist other maintenance personnel as requested for tasks related to departmental mission.
Prepares and maintain related records including Safety Data sheets (SDS); complete and maintains timesheets, work orders and other records.
Must be punctual and timely in meeting all requirements of performance, including, but not limited to, attendance standards and work deadlines; beginning and ending assignments on time; and scheduled work breaks, where applicable.
Report maintenance and repair problems to supervisor.
Perform minor custodial duties related to assignment.
Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: Formal or informal education or training that ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance, and three years grounds maintenance experience, including at least one year of maintaining turf and related facilities and operating related equipment.
- Methods, materials and equipment used in mowing, edging, raking, weeding, irrigating, cultivating and maintaining assigned athletic turf and landscaped areas.
- Cultivating, fertilizing, watering and spraying of flowers, trees and shrubs.
- Development and alteration of proper and coordinated watering schedules.
- Policies and objectives of assigned program and activities.
- Appropriate athletic field layout, boundaries and markings.
- Installation, maintenance and repair of irrigation systems, sprinkler heads and controllers.
- Operation and maintenance of hand and power tools and equipment used in groundskeeping and snow removal.
- Methods, equipment and materials used in landscaping, groundskeeping and snow removal work.
- Basic record-keeping techniques including inventories.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Appropriate safety precautions, health and safety regulations and procedures.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- Perform a variety of grounds maintenance and landscaping duties in the beautification of assigned grounds and landscaped areas.
- Mow, edge, water, weed, fertilize, rake and cultivate lawns, flower beds, athletic fields and other landscaped areas.
- Perform maintenance and repair of irrigation systems and components.
- Perform snow removal operations to maintain a safe campus environment.
- Perform basic record-keeping techniques.
- Methods, materials, application, rules, regulations and procedures for of chemicals used in the control, prevention and eradication of pests, insects and weeds.
- Apply specialized chemicals to control and eradicate weeds and other pests.
- Use cleaning materials and equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Move and arrange furniture and equipment.
- Observe and report safety hazards and need for maintenance and repair.
- Perform maintenance and repairs on tools and grounds maintenance equipment.
- Operate hand and power tools and other equipment used in grounds maintenance.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Perform routine custodial duties in area of assignment.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Perform heavy physical labor.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Additional Requirement (Licensure/Certification):
- Valid State driver’s license and acceptable driving record for insurability by the District’s insurance carrier.
- May be required to obtain a California Qualified Applicator Certificate under applicable categories or acquire within 6 months of hire date.
- Indoor/outdoor environment.
- Seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions.
- Exposure to fumes, dust, odors, oil/grease, gases.
- Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) membership
Cover Letter, Resume/CV