Special Services Worker
Special Services Worker
Department: General Services
The Special Services Worker provides routine and non-routine labor associated with the daily support of conference and Special Events, moving and distribution services, the daily maintenance of assigned areas, special areas, and special projects. Basic assembly and disassembly of furniture. Inventory tracking of furniture supplies. Proper and safe storing of furniture. May be required to assist with swimming pool maintenance and other duties needed to support the University. Supervision received: operates under the close supervision of the Special Services Supervisor and lead.
The responsibilities described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Performs routine special services duties.
• Deliver, set-up and strike special equipment and/or furnishings required for conferences, meetings and special events.
• Submit daily-completed work order for supervisory review using hand held devices/computer.
• Clean and maintain equipment and areas routinely used for special events and coordinate proper furniture arrangement in these areas.
• Provide a high degree of customer service to internal/external customers
• Coordinate and provide moving and delivery services of supplies, furniture, artifacts, printed matter, and equipment as directed on campus.
• Move items to and/or from off campus locations.
• Unload, inspect, and deliver items brought on campus by off campus carriers.
• Related work as required and instructed.
• Safely operate vehicles and lift truck.
• Use proper lifting/moving techniques to handle items that are delivered/moved.
• Must be able to understand diagrams and set up events accordingly.
• Minimum of 2yr. related job experience, preferably with conference and event operations.
• Must be able to speak, write and understand oral and written instructions in English.
• Must be able to perform manual tasks requiring moderate physical strength and lift up to 50 lbs.
• Must be able to complete forms and conduct simple inventories of supplies and equipment utilizing a computer, tablet or other hand-held device.
• Must be detail oriented and able to work without close supervision.
• Must demonstrate ability and experience in operating all mechanical equipment related to the trade.
• Must be able to maintain good working relationships with students, faculty and staff and adhere to all University policies and procedures.
• Knowledge and experience in conference and special events procedures and/or protocols.
• Understands the importance of customer service and has the ability to follow-up as well as communicate to FM supervision and the campus community.
Special Conditions of Employment:
• Must have a valid unrestricted Driver's License.
• Must comply with all applicable traffic laws, ordinances, regulations, and use safe driving practices at all times.
• Required to work overtime and on weekends as necessary, to support evening, weekend, and holiday event requirements. Job hour and/or workday schedule may be changed, when necessary, to meet commitments.
• Employee is required to wear a uniform.
• Must have a full understanding of the Hazardous Communications program and the information contained in the Material Safety Data Sheets and all warning labels.
• Consistently follow safety practices appropriate to the trade and comply with the rules and regulations established by the University, state, and federal agencies.
• May be asked to work in the vicinity of laboratories that may contain bio-hazardous, radioactive, or other potentially hazardous substances where detectable amounts of chemicals and materials, known by the state of California to cause birth defects, or other reproductive harm, can be found.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Salary: $14.18 - $15.73 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 40 per week
Closing date: March 14, 2018
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, you are strongly recommended to upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review.If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org