Vice President for Development
Maryville University is seeking a talented and experienced development executive with a strong record of accomplishments in fundraising and fundraising administration. Reporting to the President, the Vice President will have responsibility for oversight of all aspects of the University Development office, including major and planned giving, annual giving, institutional giving, corporate and foundation relations, alumni engagement and development operations.
Maryville University is a nationally ranked institution with 8,000 students from 50 states and 60 countries. Named the third fastest growing university in the nation by the Chronicle of Higher Education, Maryville is leading a revolution in learning with its innovative Digital World Program, life coaching, learning diagnostics and commitment to top level student service. As one of the top 10% most wired/connected campuses in the United States, Maryville is committed to the most technologically sophisticated approach to everything that it does including fundraising, outreach and access.
Essential Responsibilities of the Vice President for Development:
- Support and augment the University strategic plan through fundraising in the following key areas: transformational learning, scholarships and spaces and places.
- Evaluate prospective donors for a future comprehensive campaign.
- Be an effective and collaborative development partner with the President, faculty, staff, volunteers, funding sources and others.
- Work within our strong and vibrant marketing brand structure and develop strong team relationships with all of the other Vice Presidents.
- Serve as a mentor to a dedicated staff of development professionals.
- Identify and pursue fundraising opportunities between ongoing University projects and potential donors.
- Support our constituency-based development programs, as well as expand our corporate and foundation development programs.
- Oversee the Alumni Engagement office, as well as engage and cultivate new alumni from our expanding online programs.
- Integrate and adjust department budget to meet University goals and objectives and monitor budget throughout the fiscal year to ensure appropriate administration, efficiency and utilization of allotted resources.
- Demonstrate ability in securing significant major and lead gifts for projects central to our strategic plan.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (Masters preferred).
- Involvement in planning or leading at least one comprehensive major gifts campaign.
- Five or more years of experience in higher education fundraising or a related development context, including capital campaign and major gift solicitation, electronic donor information systems and knowledge of best practices in development.
- The ability to work effectively with many diverse constituencies.
- Strong work ethic and personal integrity.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills, including public speaking. Must be able to effectively communicate the importance of the comprehensive campaign.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and supervisory skills.
- Significant travel is required. The successful candidate must be willing to travel extensively in his or her work with donors and as a representative of the University.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a drug and background screening.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibiting discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.