Enterprise Content Writer
Location: Unity, ME
Posted: Feb 20, '18
About Unity College:
For over fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to successfully face real-world challenges. We believe that we should serve a broad range of students from all backgrounds across the U.S. and the world. To be responsive to the rapidly changing needs of students and society, Unity College has adopted an enterprise model as its institutional organization, expanding the college into two distinct units that offer both undergraduate and graduate environmental degrees: flagship campus and distance education.
On our flagship campus, our liberal arts curriculum is built upon a unique framework of sustainability science the first of its kind in the nation. A distinctive approach to learning provides our students with an exceptional, high-quality education, enabling them to drive real change with leading-edge knowledge and expertise within any of our 17 environmentally focused majors. Our unique location provides extraordinary opportunities for hands-on learning and research, and active and engaged students work together with forward-thinking faculty to make true community-based learning possible. From 225 wooded acres of farmland overlooking Unity Pond in the tranquil village of Unity, Maine, we prepare each of our students to make a mark on the world.
Our distance education unit, started in 2016, extends the effects of a Unity College education to adult learners, and beyond the physical confines of the flagship campus. Unity College Online offers affordable, accredited master's degrees and non-degree credits, ideal for working professionals seeking to advance their careers, helping students become the change maker the world needs while still honoring their commitments, wherever they are.
Through our emerging Enterprise Education approach to higher education, Unity College is quickly becoming recognized by industry leaders as an innovator institution. At Unity College we consider innovation to be "a mission-driven, yet flexible mindset that rewards and supports intentional risk-taking," and we strive to create powerful new learning experiences and change higher education in order to address the evolving needs of society and the sustainability of the environment.
A key new position in the development of the college, the Enterprise Content Writer works with the Unity College President and Chief of Staff to articulate, institutionalize, and document the Unity College organizational management approach in support of Enterprise Education. The Enterprise Content Writer executes their communication tasks in alignment with legal requirements governing employers and higher education institutions, with consideration of the requirements specific to various writing modalities, and with awareness of the needs of intended audiences. The Enterprise Content Writer is responsible for drafting policy, creating communications and communication tools, and creating organizational diagrams. Specific duties include (but are not all inclusive):
- Communicates, institutionalizes, and documents the presidential vision for college organizational management philosophy, structures, and policy in writing, through visuals, and through the development of communication tools.
- Conducts research, prepares reports, and proposes models and options for organizational management policies, documentation, and communication and provides president with options for approach, strategy, and execution.
- Drafts and edits college organizational management documents including philosophy statements, organizational charts, job descriptions, employee manuals, communications, policy, employee handbooks, standard operating procedures, workflow diagrams, decision-matrices, etc.
- Drafts and edits college and presidential communications, including proposals, memos, reports, speech copy, ceremonies, text copy, initiative descriptions, and communication tools such as Powerpoint presentations.
- Participates on and may coordinate teams and committees as assigned.
- May manage projects on behalf of the president's office as assigned.
- Represents Unity College to the broader community professionally, accurately, and in advancement of college priorities.
- Works with sensitive institutional materials in the college interest with sound judgment and discretion.
- Demonstrates a high degree of commitment to customer service and student success.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree in writing, communications, policy, business, organizational management, or human resource management as well as:
- Experience in human resource management, institutional policy development, or organizational management preferred.
- Excellent conceptual analysis and synthesis, written communication, and policy development skills.
- Ability and willingness to work with individuals from diverse political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical and academic abilities.
- Good skills in word processing, spreadsheets, and cloud based document management systems, such as Google Drive, Dropbox, and SharePoint.
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of the college.
This is a full-time calendar-year, exempt position that works primarily day shift with some extended hours. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling responsibilities and meeting the college's needs.
While performing the duties of this job, is regularly required to sit, stand and walk, type and manipulate a computer, as well as talk and hear. The employee must have the ability to lift, move and/or carry equipment and supplies up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, middle vision and the ability to adjust focus. Use of either hand for repetitive movements such as grasping, gripping and turning, and fine manipulation. Often required to walk across campus and ascend and descend stairs to attend meetings and during tours.
This job requires mostly office work. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Unity College seeks to attract employees who share a commitment to the environment and to human diversity, and who have an interest in helping students develop an understanding of the richness and complexity of individuals and society.
Interested and qualified candidates should go to www.unity.edu/jobs to complete and application and submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for 3 references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. We look forward to hearing from you!