Events Manager and Coordinator of Promotions & Fan Engagement
Events Manager and Coordinator of Promotions & Fan Engagement
Performs a wide array of tasks necessary to support the fan experience and promotional activities for multiple sports and special events in a highly collaborative environment. Facilitates a coordinated effort among multiple campus units for planning and implementation of ideas and strategies to promote spectator and student attendance and engage fans, sponsors, and other target audiences for various university sports and programs. Manages daily facility and event operations, working day, evening, and weekend shifts as required to configure, monitor, and supervise events held at university facilities scheduled by the Office of Special Events, including but not limited to the Junell Center-Stephens Arena, the LeGrand Stadium at 1st Community Credit Union Field, and the ASU Lake Facilities. Oversees physical buildings, labor, equipment, and food services arrangements, coordinating with appropriate campus units for needed repairs or corrections to maintain quality facilities and efficient operations.
Typical Duties/Job Duties
1. Collaboratively facilitate planning and implementation of ideas and strategies to maximize attendance and engage fans, sponsors, and other target audiences for various university sports and programs.
a. Take a lead role to develop timely, consistent, collaborative and comprehensive season-long, integrated, sport-specific promotional plans in partnership with ASU Athletics coaching staff, Athletic Communications, Communications and Marketing, Student Life, Student Government Association, Greek Life, Student Organizations, Ram Club, and other varied campus units.
b. Identify dates and games to target for special events with guidance and input from sport programs.
c. Identify target audiences for each promotion and align outreach efforts befitting such audience. Collaborate with campus entities to maximize and improve student outreach and attendance at events.
d. Coordinate plan execution, performing necessary outreach and follow up to ensure effective and timely plan implementation.
e. Internally, schedule regular information sharing meetings with collaborating groups and stakeholders.
f. Document and send post-meeting notes for follow up tasks.
g. Proactively communicate plans with various departmental staff, project collaborators, stakeholders, and other external entities as necessary.
h. Make timely requests for all digital assets, promotional materials, and messaging associated with plans. In conjunction with Athletic Communications and Communications and Marketing, craft and deploy promotional messaging to communicate information regarding upcoming games and events.
i. Provide post-season evaluation for plans to incorporate for next season.
j. Attend meetings and coordinate associated activities.
2. Works with Athletic Department, campus customers and outside university customers and guests to identify and plan events, configure facility and room set-ups per instructions/requirements. Ensures appropriate staffing for all events and special programs. Performs all required customer follow-up duties to complete the reservation process and finalize event confirmations.
3. Plans and controls labor hours used (so as to stay within university guidelines) and tracks/ties all labor to departmental EMS events software in support of daily building operations and events management. Plans and controls cleaning and building preparations, equipment and food service arrangements for scheduled events, meetings, and other activities. Ensures that tables, seating, staging, lighting, sound, and all other appropriate resources affecting events are operational and properly configured.
4. Provides event details and instructions to set-up crew members both verbally, visually and in writing using provided events software packages. Controls events staffing performance before, during and after the conduct of events.
5. Performs custodial and maintenance inspections and follows up with appropriated personnel to ensure that repairs are completed or deficiencies corrected.
6. Conducts the annual inventory of the Junell Center and all additional assigned property and equipment.
7. Prepares weekly work schedules for student employees in the department.
8. Performs minor building and audio-visual equipment maintenance tasks daily as needed.
9. Drafts and prepares labor and event reports, internal memos and routine correspondence.
10. Interviews, selects, trains, and supervises student and/or temporary personnel.
11. Communicates in a professional, service-oriented manner with faculty, staff, students, visitors and others in the course of performing work or coordinating tasks.
12. All additional duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to encompass the strategic mission of Angelo State University and ASU Athletics with tact and diplomacy at all times.
• Ability to prioritize work, handle multiple demands efficiently, think ahead, anticipate issues, and successfully work under pressure to effectively meet established deadlines.
• Skilled in excellent organizational techniques and ability to balance multiple projects.
• Strong initiative to solve problems.
• Skilled in applying extraordinary focus on customer service.
• Ability and willingness to work in a team atmosphere where expectations are set and managed while giving staff flexibility to do their assigned task as both a leader and/or a follower.
• Ability to work independently, coordinate large projects or events.
• Skilled in strong interpersonal, creative, motivational and communication skills, including the ability to communicate well in writing and speaking before groups.
• Ability to influence and build work relationships among a diverse workforce at all levels necessary.
• Ability to possess excellent attention to detail, grammar and proofreading skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to adjust work schedule to support events and event operations, including evenings and weekends.
• Skilled in Microsoft Office proficiency.
• Knowledge of events scheduling and set up procedures.
• Knowledge of customer service principles and practices.
• Knowledge of word processing applications and software.
• Ability to organize and coordinate event set-ups.
• Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
• Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks in an accurate and timely manner.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or related field.
• Three years of experience in public relations, promotions, marketing, or related field.
• Minimum of two years experience developing and implementing marketing plans and/or event programming.
• One year of experience in facilities/building operations or management, housekeeping supervision, event planning and set-up, or other directly related experience.
• Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
• Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word.
• Professional management experience.
• Project management experience.
• Master’s degree.
• Experience developing event programming or promotions for sporting events.
• Experience managing student workers at athletic events.
• Experience marketing sports and developing and implementing sponsor related promotional activities.
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at email@example.com.