Network Specialist 4
Schedule Information: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Benefits: Health, Dental, Life & Disability Insurance; Sick, Vacation, and Holiday pay; Personal Business; Educational Assistance: Tuition Waivers at Harper & Professional Expense
Work Conditions: Worker is subject to primarily indoor work. Physical activities include lifting of equipment and boxes up to 70 lbs, crawling, reaching and pulling.
Duties of Position:Responsible for full life cycle management of server and network technologies supporting the Harper College data network. Provides college-wide network connectivity and shared computing resource support. Recommends and implements multi-platform network and server policies and standards, following industry best practices and compliance requirements. Installs, and maintains all routing and switching infrastructure supporting the college communications networks and data center network infrastructure. Installs and maintains all physical and virtual server systems supporting the college communications networks, database and application systems. Utilizes appropriate monitoring and notification tools to minimize unplanned downtime, augment system performance and enhance system failure diagnosis. Implements best practice standards and procedures in the enforcement of Harper College information policies, compliance requirements, security standards and disaster recovery plans as they relate to college messaging systems, data loss prevention systems, access logging systems, firewall technologies, network access control (NAC) systems and overall network infrastructure. Implements and maintains all shared data storage, data recovery and data archival mechanisms in the Harper College computing infrastructure. Implements and maintains the college communication network’s wireless infrastructure. Implements and maintains the college communication network’s internet connectivity. Implements and maintains the college communication network’s messaging/email infrastructure. Implements and maintains the college communication network’s firewalls, network traffic shaping and network traffic caching mechanisms. Implements and maintains the various college communications authentication directories. Advises the Network Manager on all technical considerations involved in the expansion and enhancement of physical and logical network infrastructure including all LAN, MAN and WAN connectivity. Coordinate activities with external service providers for consulting, maintenance and hosting services. Writes documentation to facilitate implementation,maintenance and full utilization of all enterprise network and server platforms. Performs related duties as assigned.
Educational Requirements: Bachelors of Science degree in computer science or a related discipline is required or equivalent experience. Related certifications are a plus.
- At least 7 years experience in medium to large sized enterprise IT environments is required.
- Academic institution IT support experience preferred.
- Expert knowledge of RedHat Linux and Microsoft Windows (all versions) operating systems is required.
- Professional, hands-on experience managing Cisco switching, routing, VPN and firewalling technologies is required.
- At least two years experience managing SAN (Storage Area Network) and NAS (Network-attached Storage) data storage technologies including NAS and block storage provisioning and de-provisioning activities is expected.
- Experience with EMC storage and archiving technologies including VNX and Data Domain is preferred.
- In depth experience managing popular data archiving packages like Backup Exec, Legato and Networker is required.
- Experience with various firewalling and application delivery technologies like F5, Palo Alto and Cymphonix is required.
- Configuration and administration experience related to DNS, DHCP and other network services is required.
- Active Directory, and Microsoft Exchange management experience is required.
- Strong understanding of Windows and Apple Mac desktop environments is expected and a good working knowledge of office productivity tools such as Microsoft Office, Visio and Microsoft SharePoint is required.
- At least two years experience provisioning virtual resources in VMWare environments including storage, memory, VMs and virtual switching technologies
- Demonstrated experience coordinating the day-to-day efforts of staff augmentation and project based consulting resources.
- Some implementation and administration background with Cisco Unified Communications including Telepresence Collaboration and Applications
Application Review Date: Applications are accepted until the position is filled though priority will be given to applications received on or before: March 7, 2018
Required Documents: ***A resume and cover letter are required to complete the application process***
* Official transcripts required upon hire
* Employment is contingent upon Criminal Background Check.
* Employment sponsorship is not available.