This position provides career counseling services and career education programs to MSU Denver students and recent graduates. Utilizing the office career development strategy (Explore, Experience , Execute), this position meets students where they are to provide guidance to support career decision making and job search navigation. In addition to working with students, the Career Specialist/Career Counselor also works with employers and other stakeholders of the university to assess employer needs, connect students to employment opportunities and facilitate career readiness under the supervision of the Assistant Director who leads the career counseling team. Interacting and forming collaborative relationships on and off campus is part of this position. Duties include individual career and job search advising, workshop facilitation, career counseling appointments and presentations, and career assessment interpretations. The successful candidate must have the ability to work with and be sensitive to the educational needs of a diverse urban population.
Metropolitan State University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer.
Salary for Announcement
Salary is commensurate with education and experience, starting at $42,105, including excellent benefits.
Career Services Office
Full Time Administrators
Career Counseling and Job Search Advising: Facilitate career exploration and decision-making for students, alumni, faculty, staff and extended community. Provide effective job search advising, utilizing campus and community resources for a diverse population. Provide direct client services to individuals and groups in career-related areas. Use JobLink database to record confidential notes and track attendance at career events.
Career Assessment Counseling: Provide interpretation of assessment tools currently offered to students, recent alumni, faculty, staff and community members including Myers-Briggs Type Indicator®, Strong Interest Inventory®, and StrengthsQuest®. Assist in the evaluation of assessment tools to be used in the future. Utilize a range of career development models as appropriate for individual students.
Career Presentations: Develop and present career information to MSU Denver classes and support programs and provide in-depth training on career topics to faculty, staff and students.
Career Education Programming: Plan, organize and promote events and career education programs as assigned to the campus community. Develop and distribute program evaluations, document program outcomes
Teamwork: Collaborate with a team of professionals to provide high quality career services and events to students and recent graduates. Support office initiatives.
Other duties as assigned by the supervisor: Contribute to career resource development and provide periodic service to the community through outreach. Act as a resource to peer career advisers as needed.
• Master's degree in counseling, student affairs or closely related discipline from a fully accredited graduate program.
• Certification or qualification in the administration and interpretation of Career Assessment tools (MBTI® and Strong Interest Inventory®).
• At least two years of experience in the effective use of computers including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook calendar and email functions.
• Two or more years of full time professional work experience.
• One academic year or more of experience providing career counseling or career advising services to campus or community clients.
• Demonstrated effective professional initiative, collaboration, interpersonal and written communication, group presentation and program organizational skills.
• Knowledge of and experience using current career development theories, models, resources and tools.
• Program management - Experience planning, promoting and implementing programs to a diverse population.
• Demonstrated experience working with a diverse population including a variety of ages, ethnicity, socio-economic status (SES), sexual preference, veteran status, etc.
• Experience, knowledge or ability working in compliance with FERPA and/or Rules of Confidentiality.
• Experience working with StrengthsQuest® or StrengthsFinder® instruments or comparable system.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
Transcripts will be requested of the finalists. You may upload copies of transcripts at the time of application but it is not required for consideration. If you want to submit copies of transcripts but are not able to at the time of application you may submit them to Michelle Dupuis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete applications received by Feb. 20, 2018 will receive full consideration. Position is open until filled.