OPERATIONS AND PUBLIC SERVICES LIBRARY SPECIALIST
Duties: Reporting to the Director of Operations, Kislak Center, the Operations and Public Services Library Specialist performs public services and collection control at advanced levels in the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts. Specifically:
- Coordinates the paging and reshelving of special collections onsite and the collection transfers between departmental libraries for patron and staff use as well as for major collection moves.
- Coordinates the transfers of special collections to and from offsite storage, working with Facilities, Penn Building Services, and LIBRA staff to ensure timely, careful, and secure delivery.
- Maintains up-to-date and accurate records of all special collections moves using Aeon software, Excel spreadsheets, or other data tracking tools.
- Assists faculty, visiting scholars, and other researchers in the Kislak Center reading room, working closely with the Reader Services Librarian. May handle full range of reading room duties in the absence of the Reader Services Librarian.
- Trains, schedules, and coordinates student workers in the reading room, working closely with the Reader Services Librarian.
- Provides general support for Kislak operations and events as needed.
- Follows best practices and ALA protocols for security in the movement and use of special collections.
Qualifications: - A Bachelor's Degree, preferably in a humanities field, and 0 to 1 year of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required; 3 to 5 years of experience preferred.
- Master's degree preferred, especially in Library and Information Science.
- Extensive skills and experience in public services, information tracking software, and special collections management.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with diverse constituencies including highly educated academics, skilled tradespeople, and young adults.
- Interest in and facility with accurate recordkeeping and taking responsibility for the safety of rare materials.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal & written communication, interpersonal & organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to lift or move 25-50 lbs. on occasion.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel required; knowledge of Outlook and Aeon tracking software highly desirable.
Reference Number: 50-28003
Salary Grade: U
Employment Type: Non-Exempt
Org: Special Collections Library
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.