Casual - Police Records Clerk
Requisition # 2018-8506
Department Public Safety
Category Public Safety, Security, and Emergency Services
Full-Time / Part-Time Part-Time
Application Deadline 3/20/2018
The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is the primary department charged with creating a safe and secure environment at Princeton University. DPS operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and is comprised of 108 staff members. The department consists of professional university police, security officers, dispatchers and administrators dedicated to providing best-in-class service to the community. DPS was awarded Law Enforcement Accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) in July 2015. CALEA serves as the “International Gold Standard for Public Safety Agencies” and oversees a rigorous accreditation process. Non-sworn security officers work in several different areas including the main campus, at the James Forrestal campus, in Firestone Library, in the Princeton University Art Museum and their off-site storage facility.
Reporting to the Administrative Lieutenant and Administrative Sergeant, the Records Clerk will be responsible for preparing criminal reports for court, creating and maintaining files, updating case statuses and notifying officers of court appearance dates.
Additional tasks will include:
- Receiving and processing requests for police reports, and public information requests;
- Completing and/or mailing State forms;
- Providing notary service;
- Perform general clerical duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent;
- Previous experience as a Records Clerk;
- Knowledge of police records management principles, practices and methods.
- Knowledge of personal computers, hardware and software and data entry skills;
- Should possess organizational and time-management skills;
- Excellent judgment and discretion in handling sensitive and confidential matters;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a high degree of professionalism;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Must successfully complete a background check.
- Associate or Bachelor's degree.
This is a 50% part-time, 20 hours per week, 6-month term position
Be advised that you will be contacted only if there is further interest in your application. The candidate dashboard will not display status updates for this requisition.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Comments Related to End Date
6-month term position
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.