Hyde Park Campus
34465 Inst For Molecular Engineering
About the Unit
The Institute for Molecular Engineering (IME), established in 2011 by the University of Chicago in partnership with Argonne National Laboratory, is a transformational academic unit exploring the intersection of science and engineering. IME explores innovative technologies that address fundamental societal problems through advances in nanoscale manipulation and design on a molecular scale. IME is the largest new academic program that the University has started since 1988.
Performs advanced, diversified, and confidential administrative support for three or more managers/faculty members. Will also provide administrative support for the IME Dean's Suite in the ERC Building. Relieves faculty/managers of as much administrative detail as possible. Provide administrative duties associated with IME events and conferences. Stays informed of activities relating to University programs and initiatives, apprising managers/faculty of issues when deemed necessary.
Faculty and/or Management Support Duties:
- Plans, organizes and manages the workflow for the faculty/managers.Coordinates information flow from faculty/manager to designated IME staff, University executives, University offices or outside agencies.
- Initiates routine and non-routine correspondence and other written materials under own signature or for signature of the faculty/manager. Ensures accuracy in the preparation or review of written materials, including Power Point presentations, proposals, charts, and other correspondence in support of the dean's efforts.
- Triages emails and telephone calls for action. Resolves routine and complex inquiries. Refers inquiries to the appropriate person and follows-up to ensure complete and timely responses. Exercises professional judgment to interpret and communicate office policies and procedures.
- Maintains faculty's/manager's calendar, exercising considerable discretion and judgment as to priorities and effective use of the executive's time. Schedules and coordinates meetings, conferences, and special events, ensuring the executive is prepared through compiling data, statistics, and other information and materials.
- Unique situations will require a tailored approach and sound judgment. Using various relevant information sources to synthesize information for special reports and summaries.
- Coordinates complex travel arrangements for the faculty/manager, ensuring that all necessary files, materials, and supplies are assembled, and prepares the itinerary.
- Uses sound judgment to apprise executive of urgent matters and follows through on necessary actions.
- Prepares written recommendations for operational and administrative issues. Manages a portion of the faculty's/manager's budget, monitoring and reconciling accounts. Processes expense reports and prepares financial and/or administrative reports.
- Works with faculty/manager to determine work priorities and work flow to meet deadlines; while ensuring accuracy and timeliness of work.
- Manages special projects as directed.
- May occasionally provide backup administrative support for other faculty/managers.
- Assists faculty/managers in meeting/event planning.Manages set-up and clean-up for conferences, meetings, or other events.
- Become familiar with venues available on and off campus, special user-conditions, technological strengths and weaknesses, and departmental contacts.Maintain familiarity and relationships with local vendors, ranges of services provided, and actively acquire and pursue knowledge of events industry standards and trends, nationally and internationally.
- Provides onsite logistical support for events, as needed.Execute steps in day-of-event activities. Provide operational support, which includes identifying and assigning appropriate resources needed for set-up, staffing, event execution, and break-down. Supervise the arrival of contractors and materials to ensure that order specifications are understood and completed in compliance. Manage all aspects of final preparations through the conclusion of the event. Negotiate with partner and service providers to accommodate any remaining last minute requests or expectations to arrive at a final, approved event plan.
- Track incoming invoices from event service providers and arrange for payment of all costs incurred.Prepare event expense summary and arbitrate any disputed charges.Complete post event activity plan, and include feedback received in vendor and event files and database.With event data manager perform final vetting of data regarding the event, provide post event dashboards and analysis as needed.Post event follow-up communications to attendees, speakers, vendors and other stakeholders.
- Ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and maintain confidential information is required.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, superior attention to detail, and strong organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively with team members at all levels is required.
- Incredibly organized and detail-oriented with ability to prioritize multiple assignments.
- Strong scheduling and travel coordination skills are essential.
- Must be flexible, able to quickly react to last minute changes, be self-directed and take initiative.
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to engage team members and managers to make quick and effective decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Project Management.
- Effective Communication.
- Organizational Astuteness.
- Bachelor's degree
- A graduate degree with a minimum of four years progressively responsible executive administrative experience with senior executives or faculty and event planning, or
- Minimum six years of progressively responsible executive administrative experience with senior executives or faculty and event planning is required.
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Demonstrated expertise with software applications e.g., Outlook, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Power Point, & Excel), and Adobe Acrobat.
- Cover letter
- References upon request
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Background Check Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/