Work From Home, Full Time Online Nursing Faculty-Internal Employees Only
** Only current WGU employees will be considered for this role **
Position: Course Mentor
Course: C820 Inter-Professional Leadership & Communication for the College of Health Professions
The Leadership and Communication Course Mentor will facilitate an educational environment that encourages students to explore behaviors necessary for today’s professionals. The Course Mentor will engage students in their first WGU course, a process for student progression of self-discovery and community building. Key course competencies includes: mindfulness, effective communication, leadership skills and building a strong collaborative network/community of peers.
Western Governors University is the only university in the history of American higher education to have earned accreditation from four regional accrediting commissions. The WGU nursing programs are CCNE accredited and named as a Center of Excellence (2015-2019) by the National League of Nursing (NLN).
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Position is remote based, full-time, requiring 40-45 hours of work per week in home office
- Host live classroom events on web camera for scheduled two hour blocks of time, several times a week
- Use best practices for managing an engaging virtual environment through webcam and other tools
- Enroll students in their initial pre-course assessments
- Achieve course objectives and goals (e.g., course completion targets, pre/post survey, satisfaction)
- Promote student group cohesion (approx. 16-25 students in a class)
- Understanding of emotional intelligence, self-awareness, and self-reflection practices.
- Demonstrate best practices related to course facilitation techniques in the virtual classroom.
- Maintain knowledge of other departments/services such as Well Connect, Center for Writing Excellence, Career Services, etc. in order to accommodate and connect with student needs when appropriate
- Be compliant to the governing State and Federal laws and WGU policies on student records and record keeping
Minimum Educational Requirement: Master’s Degree
- Experience facilitating adult group learning in distance-learning environments.
- Experience providing student support and instruction in a higher education setting.
- 3-5+ years’ experience teaching in a classroom setting.
Strong technical skills: able to utilize and learn various software applications, learning platforms, Microsoft office suite, and technology-based delivery systems.
WORK FROM HOME, United States