Reports To: Registrar
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We opened our doors in 2005 and currently offer 4 undergraduate academic majors and a MBA program. We follow a strict non-discriminatory policy, and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Construction has been underway on a new 75 acre international campus.
The AUAF Registrar department is seeking a qualified candidate for a Full-time position as Associate Registrar based in Kabul.
General Objective: The mission of the Registrar’s Office is to assist students in achieving their educational goals at AUAF by collecting and maintaining accurate records, providing an effective registration process, and evaluating students’ academic progress according to established curricular requirements in compliance with academic policies.
Mission of the Position (overall goal): The mission of the Associate Registrar is to help the Registrar's Office achieve its mission by assisting students in achieving their educational goals and by serving the university community in the implementation of academic policies that meet students’ needs.
Summary of the Position (how the overall goal is reached): The Associate Registrar will work collaboratively with a team of staff who thoroughly understand the university curriculum, academic policies, and procedures. The Associate Registrar will also maintain appropriate relationships with program directors and department chairs to make sure that the practices of the office support student development and achievement of student educational goals.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct, mentor, and guide the registrar staff; work in collaboration with the Registrar to establish office direction, priorities, and goals;
- Serve as a resource and reference to the university community regarding application of academic policy and implementation of policy changes;
- Work with department chairs, academic support offices, and the Provost's office to manage program curriculum for specific programs within the university; participate in curriculum review and development for these programs; collaborate with academic advisors and program directors to insure delivery of quality student services to promote achievement of student educational goals;
- Assist in the preparation, analysis and assessment of reports in coordination with university-wide initiatives;
- Evaluate incoming transcripts to determine transferability of credits; review student academic progress and confer degrees and credentials upon completion;
- Assist with PowerCampus administrative processing including: scheduling course sections, course catalog maintenance, room assignments, student information changes, MoHE, and other data maintenance functions as necessary;
- Prepare academic reports for the Ministry of Higher Education and liaise with the Ministry on other relevant matters (including accreditation & quality assurance initiatives);
- Assist in scheduling of courses, updating information on the Registrar's website and the academic calendar;
- Coordinate commencement ceremonies;
- Serve on University academic committees and serve in other capacities as needed or directed by the University with particular focus on achieving/maintaining accreditation;
- Master’s degree (preferably in Information Systems) required with a minimum of three year successful experience in a position responsible for student academic records and policy and procedures associated with those records
- Record of growth in professional responsibility that demonstrates logical analysis, problem-solving, innovation, and leadership
- Experience in data design, analysis and reporting
- Broad understanding of relational database, preferably PowerCampus (student information system), including integration of self-service, learning management in a complex university setting
- Ability for critical and logical thinking, good judgment, and problem solving
- Effective communicator with interpersonal and communication skills to interact verbally and in writing with diverse group of people, including students, faculty, and administrators; to facilitate teamwork among staff and in committees; and to foster effective working relationships externally with schools, colleges, organizations, and agencies in the region
- Excellent written and oral knowledge of English, (and preferably Dari and Pashto)
- Requires a high level of confidentiality
Attitude and Demeanor for the Office of the Registrar Employees:
As part of a work environment that highly values a student centric model, educational excellence, and service to students, all members of the office will:
- Publicly support the mission of AUAF
- Communicate effectively with understanding as s/he deals with administrative colleagues, teachers, students, faculty, personnel and program associates
- Work as a team member in a professional environment
- Possess a “service attitude” (willingness to be flexible to meet the needs of the department)
- Cannot enroll (or be currently enrolled) in a degree program, PDI classes and/or other classes offered by AUAF while employed in the Registrar's Office
Applicants must submit their cover letter and resume, and a list of 3 professional references as one PDF or Word document attachment to [email protected] applications are accepted in English only. Please include “Associate Registrar” in the subject line of the email.
All applications must be submitted on or before March 20, 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.