Student Employment Coordinator
University of La Verne
Student Employment Coordinator
Job Description Summary:
Oversees all facets of the student employment program, processing on and off campus part-time employment for students. Assists departments with hiring processes, ensures completion of the required employment documentation, develops and conducts student employee supervisor training, closely monitors and reconciles the federal work study funds between the general ledger and Financial Aid Office, ensures compliance with all federal and state regulations, as well as the University's policies.
Coordinates and monitors the student employment process, including recruitment, required paperwork, and any training needed.
- Reviews and approves student employment job descriptions. Collaborates with the budget office on receiving their approval on University funded student employment positions. Posts all student employment job postings on the University applicant tracking system.
- Collects all required hiring paperwork. Meets with new student employees to review the Student New Hire Packet documents and all the necessary paperwork, including I-9 form completion, tax forms W-4 and DE-4, and other legally required forms.
- Provides training to the hiring supervisor of a student employee to ensure best practice of employment interviewing.
- Accurately enters student employee information into the University HRIS system for timely payroll processing. Maintains I-9 binder based on legal requirements, files student employment documents, and purges the outdated files based on federal, state and HR retention policies. Maintains student employee files in compliance with University policies and procedures and legal requirements.
- After every payroll runs the process in the HR system to update student federal work study information into the Financial Aid module.
- Provides accurate, complete, and timely responses to students’ and supervisors’ inquiries. Maintains effective means of communication with students and supervisors.
Developes and presents training to all student supervisors to re-iterate federal and state regulations, as well as University policies pertaining to student employees. Communicates to supervisors any regulation or policy changes in a clear and timely manner.
- Coordinates with Financial Aid Office to ensure proper oversight of the student employments federal work study funds allocation. Notifies students and supervisors when work study awards are close to the limit.
- Provides necessary input for the annual Fiscal Operations Reports and Application to Participate (FISAP) with the U.S. Department of Education.
- Assists in providing documentations to the University’s auditors for the annual A-133 audit. Fully cooperates in responding to any inquiries by the auditors.
- Responsible for reconciling of the federal work study funds used between Financial Aid Office, Finance GL, and HRIS.
- Maintains student time card database. Generates and distributes the time cards to supervisors twice each month. Enters Pay Advices, revisions to allocations, rates, positions, and supervisors.
- Investigates, troubleshoots, and resolves any problems and issues regarding missing or incorrect pay checks.
- Assists in preparation of required federal, state, and university reports.
- Serves as liaison with internal departments to leverage student employment opportunities with the community.
- Identifies potential employment opportunities for student employees within the La Verne community.
- Collaborates with Community Engagement Office and internal departments to coordinate community service student employment opportunities and ensures the University meets the minimum federal requirement of work study allocation to support students working in community service jobs.
- Collaborates with Career Services Office to support off campus job opportunities for students that fall within the job location development program.
- Serves as Office of Human Resources contact for Live scans.
- Coordinates the Student Employee of the Year program. Communicates with supervisors to obtain nominations and leads the committee in reviewing and selection process.
Maintains the Student Employment website on the HR portal. Updates forms, manuals, orientation packets, and other documents as needed.Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resource Management, or a related field.
3 years experience in the areas of Human Resources and career services.
3 years experience with employment, recruitment, and HR/payroll data processing.
Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills.
Extremely well organized and detail oriented.
Ability to function and appropriately prioritize in a high volume environment.
Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
2 years experience working in higher education.
2 years experience with Federal Work Study program.
Experience with applicant tracking systems
Experience with Banner
Location: La Verne Central Campus
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: http://laverne.edu
The University of La Verne is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employment or employees on any basis prohibited by state and federal law. University of La Verne hires and promotes individuals based on their qualifications and is consistent with applicable state and federal laws, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, disability, medical condition a or sexual orientation