Accounts Payable Accountant
B.A. Degree in Accounting or related field.
Purpose of Job
Accounts Payable Accountant is responsible for reviewing and processing payments to vendors.
Scope of Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Director of Financial Services, provide exceptional services to the campus community in the processing of all accounts payable disbursements, from data entry to check production. Assist and guide the campus community regarding policies, procedures and coding including working with others to achieve the University and team goals.
• B.A. degree in Accounting or related field
• Two years of related experience.
• Proficiency in the use of computerized accounting systems, integrated computer systems
• Proficient in Internet applications in a Windows environment.
• Experience with Banner, a higher education ERP system a plus.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Products, Word, and Excel.
Essential Job Functions
• Review disbursement documents submitted for approval signatures, and account coding
• Perform data entry of all invoices, check request, reimbursement requests, and check advances accurately and within scheduled deadlines.
• Process and electronically submit approved expense report.
• Review disbursement documents and determine IRS 1099 status; review weekly.
• Perform check runs and direct deposits within deadlines.
• Coordinate the sorting of checks and invoices with student employees.
• Oversee the filing of matched check stubs and supporting documentation for vendor payments.
• Create and transmit AP check data files and direct deposit files to the bank each time checks are processed.
• Create and maintain accurate vendor records on accounting computer system.
• Upload hard copy files of all vendor payments following the College Document Retention Policy.
• Assist departments with operational coding questions, missing information and corrections.
• Answer all departmental questions regarding payment inquiries and status of processing.
• Respond daily to internal and external customer inquiries by phone, mail, electronic mail.
• Answer vendor inquiries regarding payment status and perform research as needed.
Licensing and Certifications
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Ability to perform extremely detailed tasks and organize heavy workload while meeting deadlines for executing payments to vendors.
• Knowledge of accounting methods, procedures, IRS 1099 reporting requirements
• Ability to use Banner ERP systems, Microsoft Office.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and to interact effectively.
• Ability to work well independently as well as in a team environment.
• Ability to multi-task in a fast paced work environment.
• Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and other documents.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
• Strong interpersonal skills, collaborative work style, and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks.
• Manage shifting priorities.
• Demonstrate analytical ability for organizing data and problem solving skills.
• Ability to provide exceptional customer service and maintain a professional demeanor.
• Other related duties as assigned.