Building Attendant - Level I, REQ-200
Under general supervision, perform duties related to the housekeeping operations in a college or central service. Perform routine and non-routine duties, participate in set-up and breakdown for special events, and move furniture. Perform a variety of physically demanding cleaning tasks requiring safe working practices; knowledge of chemicals; cleaning methods, procedures, supplies, and equipment. Maintain facilities in clean, orderly, and safe condition.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Facilities and Campus Services perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
• Clean, sweep, mop, dust, scrub, polish, and otherwise maintain floors, walls, furniture and lavatory areas. Clean windows. Remove trash.
• Maintain inventory of equipment and supplies for work assignment. Replenish restroom supplies. Must be able to see, count, log, and use simple math calculations. Must be able to color discriminate supplies, upholstery, chemicals, etc.
• Move furniture, tables, chairs, and equipment up to 50 pounds without assistance. Some items are smaller, others are large and bulky (i.e. mattresses). May use a dolly to move heavier items. Will assist others in moving furniture, etc. Will be responsible to set up rooms and meeting areas with tables, chairs, podium, etc.
• Remove trash from assigned areas to the dumpster. Remove recyclable papers, glass, and other products to central areas.
• Operate mechanical floor cleaners, polishers, and carpet cleaning equipment.
• Use safety equipment as required and appropriate, follow proper safety practices, and attend safety training sessions.
• Participate as a member of the Facilities and Campus Services team by being willing to report and resolve problems directly with your supervisor, manager and others involved.
• Follow through on work commitments you make to coworkers and the College.
• Comply with College policies as they now exist and as the College or department may adopt from time to time.
• Perform other essential duties and tasks as assigned.
OTHER ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
• Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
• Ability to take and follow directions.
• Must be able to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
• Ability to receive and respond appropriately to constructive criticism.
• Ability to display a positive attitude.
• Ability to multitask.
EDUCATION: Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to high school diploma or GED that provides the required knowledge, skills, and ability.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one or two years of experience in building maintenance.
LICENSES: A valid driver’s license is required to drive college-owned vehicles and the ability to be insured under the College’s authorized driver’s policy. A valid driver’s license is essential to drive College-owned vehicles.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to stand, walk, bend, climb, push, pull, stop, twist, stretch, squat, reach, and lift up to 50 pounds from floor to waist level without assistance. Must be able to climb ladders up to 6 feet unassisted and work on feet for prolonged periods of time. Must take and successfully pass a functional capacity test after job offer and prior to hire.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: Individual must possess knowledge, skills, and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
• Must be able to perform simple arithmetic functions relating to handling chemicals necessary for this position.
• Must possess knowledge in use, safe operation, and repair of cleaning supplies, tools, and equipment. Must have knowledge of cleaning chemicals. Must have knowledge of safe working methods and building maintenance procedures.
• Must be able to understand and follow basic instructions in English, both orally and written.
• Must be able to work well without continual supervision.
• Must wear uniforms and safety equipment as required.
• Must be able to effectively and efficiently clean and maintain an assigned area within a predetermined time scheduled.
• Requires ability to learn proper use of fire extinguishers.
• Be respectful and courteous to coworkers, customers, visitors, managers and others. Strive to communicate clearly and professionally.
HOURS: The regular hours for this full-time position are 40 hours per week, 5 days per week. Overtime, holiday, weekend and evening work hours will be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or department.
CLASSIFICATION AND STATUS:
This is a non-exempt position.
This is a regular, full-time position.
This is a benefits-eligible position.
This is a 12 month position.
IPEDS Category Job Code: 37-0000 Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance Occ
Physical Requirements: Moderate (20-50 lbs.)
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
GROOMING AND APPEARANCE: The Claremont Colleges seek to maintain a neat and professional image at all times. A uniform is required and will be provided.
BACKGROUND CHECK: The successful candidate will be required to undergo a full background check. This position requires the successful completion of a post-offer physical agility test. Employment is contingent on the satisfactory results of the aforementioned in addition to compliance with requirements cited in this job description.
ADA/OSHA: This job description defines the essential or fundamental job duties of this position. It is assumed that employees hired for this position can perform the essential functions of this job without imposing risk of substantial harm to the health or safety of themselves or others. It may also include marginal functions, generally defined within Title 1 of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
DISCLAIMER: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the College will review this job description and make changes of business necessity.