Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Title: Communications Specialist
Category: Management and Professional
Department: CHA&SS Dean's Office
Date Posted: 01/02/2018
Position Information: Under general direction of the Assistant Dean and Chief Financial Officer for the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (CHASS), this position is responsible for developing, implementing, and managing a comprehensive communication strategy for CHASS. Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to developing internal communications for the College, developing Campus-wide communications regarding significant achievements in the College, building communications supporting the national reputation and profile of the college, as well as Regional/Community communications that connect with the community. This position will also greatly contribute to supporting department communications, website design, and building and maintaining a social media presence for the College. The Communications Specialist will work in conjunction with CHASS IT to ensure all web communications and Social Media communications are implemented and maintained. This job is designated as a Career Ladder recruitment, in which it has been posted at two different levels. The applicants will be assessed based on the minimum requirements for the recruitment for which they applied. If your qualifications are better aligned for the lower level position and you meet those minimum requirements, we encourage you to apply directly to recruitment # 201712204645
Minimum Requirements: Knowledge and skills to advise and consult with management to ensure delivery of the desired message to target and/or broad general audiences.
Knowledge of all aspects of communications, including strategic planning for various media venues, technical aspects and requirements of various venues, and most appropriate and effective applications.
Knowledge and understanding of technical applications to effectively direct technical staff, or personally perform technical work, including design concepts, various media, and applications.
Solid skills to create, develop, and implement comprehensive long and short term strategic communications plans.
Knowledge of the organization, its achievements, mission, vision, goals, policies, practices, infrastructure, and a strong knowledge of current affairs, and issues in higher education and/or health sciences.
Knowledge of location protocols and channels for communication internally and externally.
Solid written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and political acumen skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience working within the University of California system
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview