Assistant Animal Technician
Salary: $34,392 - $42,744
Title: Assistant Animal Technician
Category: Science and Research
Department: Office of Campus Veterinarian
Date Posted: 09/15/2017
Position Information: Under close supervision of the area supervisor, perform routine animal husbandry tasks. Duties include the cleaning, feeding, and watering of laboratory animals; the cleaning of cages/enclosures and related ancillary equipment; and the maintenance of animal care areas.
Minimum Requirements: 1. Ability to read, speak, and write English.
2. Ability to work in an animal research environment which requires continuous contact with animals.
3. Ability to communicate well with other animal technicians, investigators, etc.
4. Ability to work independantly following general directions/ training to provide animal care.
5. Schedule may require regular and special assignments for weekend/ holidays.
6. Ability to lift 50 pounds.
7. High school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Work experience evidencing reliability and the capacity to learn and assume responsibility for the routine animal caretaking functions may be substituted for high school education, on the basis of one year of work experience for one year of education.
8. Ability to euthanize rats and mice using CO2 chambers. Must be able to follow the procedures for euthanasia including the use of the CO2 chamber, as well as be able to ascertain that death has occurred. Knowledge of appropriate labeling and disposal of the animals euthanized, including hazardous animals.
Preferred Qualifications: 1. Certification as an Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT).
2. Work experience evidencing reliability and the capacity to learn and assume responsibility for the routine animal caretaking functions.
3. Abilty to recognize health problems in laboratory animals and provide various types of routine treatments following training/ direction by other animal technicians.
4. Knowledge of and the ability to apply the concept of contamination control practices. Including but not limited to engineering, administrative, and procedural controls for the containment of pathogens, including disinfection, and waste handling methods appropriate for work in hazardous containment facilities up to ABSL-2.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview