Laboratory Assistant I
Salary: $32,652 - $37,836
Title: Laboratory Assistant I
Category: Management and Professional
Date Posted: 07/19/2017
Position Information: UC Riverside Entomology Department is seeking a Laboratory Assistant I to assist in the maintenance of a large colony of Diaphorina citri, Asian citrus psyllid (ACP) colony in level 1 of the insectary. This colony provides ACP adults & nymphs for researchers, and a mass rearing program for an associated parasitoid of this pest.. UCR is the premier research University in Inland Southern California and we are seeking the best to join us. The department of Entomology at UC Riverside has one of the most modern research facilities worldwide. UCR gives every employee the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel. The department administrative staff is committed to Service Excellence, Honesty, Integrity and Optimal work environment. Within this exciting environment, rich with growth opportunities, you will perform duties to include the assistance in the maintenance of Diaphorina citri, Asian citrus psyllid (ACP) colony and assisting in the maintenance of several greenhouses of citrus and citrus relative host plant material. In addition, the postion will maintain all sting boxes/cages for iso-line and mass stings.
This postion is budgeted up to one (1) year and could continue based on funding availability. This position requires a valid California Driver's License and a public drivers license will be obtained.
Minimum Requirements: 1) Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and one year of laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences; or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledges and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
2) General knowledge of Diaphorina citri, which includes knowing the phenology and life stages and their developmental times and knowing ACP preferred host plant quality and structure is essential.
3) Knowledge and the ability to properly prune and maintain all plants to develop optimal plant flush and new stem-lets preferred by ACP nymphs. Must have ability to lift 40lbs plant trays.
4) Ability to lift and handle large 50lbs sting boxes without damaging glass or mesh windows.
5) Ability to communicate effectively to provide supervisors updates on progress, problems, and potentional problems.
6) Under general supervision , ability to work independently but also work well with others when needed.
7) Ability to follow written and oral directions.
8) Must be reliable, dependable and conscientious.
Preferred Qualifications: 1) Thorough knowledge of entomology and botany as evidenced by having taken classes in these subjects
2) Two years of laboratory and/or field experience and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
3) 6-12 months experience working with plants in greenhouse conditions.
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview