Requisition # 2017-7919
Department PPPL Engineering and Infrastrc
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Princeton University Plasma Physics Laboratory, a world-leading fusion energy research center under contract with the U. S. Department of Energy (DOE), invites applications for a Chief Engineer (Mechanical and Electrical). Reporting to the Head of the Engineering Department the Chief Engineer will establish and maintain the processes and standards needed to ensure that the engineering at PPPL meets the high standards required for operational efficiency. To ensure compliance of the PPPL technical output with DOE orders and national standards.
- Advise the Laboratory management on engineering matters.
- Define the technical requirements, including QA/QC, related to engineering activities.
- Define engineering processes, procedures, standards and documentation requirements.
- Provide oversight that engineering processes, procedures and standards are being adhered to.
- Be responsible for the compliance of the design review process with PPPL procedures.
- Support the Laboratory troubleshooting designs of extreme complexity.
- Be called upon as a technical referee to recommend a design option for a critical system or plant, based on balance between performance and risk.
- Authorize the operational envelope for any given experimental program.
- Master degree in relevant engineering field.
- Minimum 15 years experience in engineering of large complex projects.
- Minimum 10 years experience in technically diverse teams.
- Demonstrated hands on understanding of system integration and interface management.
- PhD in relevant engineering field.
- Licensed Professional Engineer.
- Experience in designing, procuring, installing and commissioning substantial systems in a nuclear fusion facility.
- Experience in implementing DOE Order 420.2c requirements.
- Experience managing technical control systems.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are, therefore, unable or limited in your ability to use or access this system, you can request a reasonable accommodation by calling a Human Resources team member at (609) 258-2101.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires some candidates to complete a physical capacity exam successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of physical capacity exam may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to Princeton University careers site.