Lab Assistant 3
$41,635 - $49,569
The incumbent shall perform technical and administrative duties related to the support of undergraduate instructional laboratories within the Department of Chemistry.
The purpose of this position is to provide instructional support for the efficient and safe conduct of Chem 8 A-B-C and other laboratory courses offer by the Department of Chemistry. Particular skills and responsibilities include detailed knowledge of laboratory courses; effective communication with faculty, staff, teaching assistants (TAs), student helpers and students; ordering and receiving of chemicals, supplies (non-chemical), safety items (personal protective equipment, PPEs) and equipment for laboratory use; store chemicals based on their hazard categories, maintain equipment and facilities, prepare reagents and student samples; assist students and TAs at the stockroom counter; set up equipment and laboratories for each experiment; maintain equipment, laboratories and electronic record of supplies; create, update and maintain complete chemical inventories for all rooms under control of the stockroom; generate waste tag and enter waste pick-up information into the Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) online database as needed to ensure the safe and proper disposal of all chemical waste generated by the teaching labs; work as a team member; provide assistance to the teaching assistants in handling minor problems such as small spills; taking charge and informing the responding agencies in the case of more serious situations (such as student injuries).
Education and experience equivalent to two years of college level chemistry coursework and one year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Demonstrated experience in gravimetric, reflux, distillation, liquid-liquid extraction, chromatographic, vacuum filtration, spectrophotometric, IR, NMR and volumetric techniques, solution preparation and solution standardization and related analytical chemistry principals and calculations.
Knowledge of laboratory safety and inventory management system.
Demonstrated organizational skills, verbal and written communication skills.
Experience using a variety (e.g. toxic, carcinogenic, oxidizing, reducing, flammable, acidic, and basic) chemicals
Completion of a college level organic chemistry course
Experience working in a chemical stockroom and setting up student laboratories.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview