Head Men's Basketball Coach
8AM - 5PM
Commensurate with Experience
The University of California, Riverside (UCR) invites nominations and applications for the position of Head Men's Basketball Coach. UCR Athletics is a member of the Big West Conference (BWC), sponsors 17 sports and is committed to excellence and integrity in academics and athletics. The school now seeks a skilled and inspiring individual to lead the men's basketball program into the future. The Head Men's Basketball Coach must be a positive, energetic leader who possesses a forward-thinking orientation and vision with the ability to recruit, teach, and motivate student-athletes. The head coach is primarily responsible for leading all aspects of an NCAA Division I Men's Basketball program including, but not limited to, managing day-to-day operations; recruiting academically and athletically qualified student-athletes; fostering and supporting student-athlete welfare; training, developing, and motivating student-athletes to perform at a maximum level; practice and game day preparation and coaching; developing a competitive schedule; resource management; hiring and supervising assistant coaches and the director of operations; fundraising; public relations; and adherence to the NCAA, Big West, and University rules. The successful candidate must be able to cultivate and maintain positive and effective relationships with students, parents, media, alumni, and other friends of the university while interacting successfully with department personnel and the University community.
Demonstrated effective problem solving and communication skills, verbally and in writing.
Current knowledge of applicable rules and standards of the affiliated athletic conference, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) or National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), as well as other associations and agencies to which the campus adheres, and, at all times avoid any and all violations of these rules and standards.
Recognized expertise in team sport and coaching principles for student athletes.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
10 years of experience in coaching collegiate basketball.
Demonstrated coaching and recruiting success at the collegiate level.
Excellent communication, organizational, and leadership skills
Ability to act as a mentor and exercise leadership.
Strong commitment to the academic achievement of student-athletes.
Thorough knowledge and understanding of NCAA regulations.
Sensitivity to and experience working effectively in a culturally diverse environment.
Supervisory and leadership skills to mentor and develop assistant coaches and/or program instruction staff.
Highly advanced and effective interpersonal, motivational and team leadership skills to work effectively with athletic participants, staff and parents of student athletes.
Ability to demonstrate creativity, sound judgment and decision-making; be an effective problem solver and be highly effective communicating verbally, in writing and for live media presentations.
Basketball coaching experience at the NCAA Division I level.
Head coaching experience.
Recruiting experience in California.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview